Upgrade from Onkyo 515?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been using an Onkyo 515 with Tannoy F1s over the past 2 years. I have been very pleased with it. Given what it is, it sounds pretty good. It does a great job as a large DAB radio, but I find that the CD side of things leaves something to be desired. Apart from Radio 4 and 5, I listen exclusively to classical music and it struggles with difficult pieces, especially when a bit of brass is involved, when it can sound more than a touch raucous. Things settle down a bit when listening to Radio 3 on DAB or other stations over the internet.

I have seen a Rotel ra 05 and RCD 02 for sale from Hi Fi Choice in Richmond. Both Units are one year old, boxed and apparently immaculate. They want £125 ONO for each unit. Do you knowledgeable people think I should buy both units to use with my Tannoys, and would I hear a definite and noticeable improvement over my current humble noise box?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
The 515 is agreat little system for the price and I personally think it would be a match for budget seperates but I think the rotels are a realy good price and would be a good step up. Think you may be wanting to upgrade the speakers quite quickly though....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
For what the Onk can offer it is a little belter but it'll never match up to good seperates.

Even if you were to fork out for the NAD C326 integrated amp, pair that with the NAD C545BEE CDP and get some dcecent standmount speakers like the Wharfedales 10.1's, B&W 685's, Monitor Auio BR2's or even possiblyu the EB Accoustics, you'll never get that sound/quality from the Onk 515.

The Tannoys are also brilliant speakers and if you wanted to go down the route, IMO you'd be best going for a decent 2nd hand NAD C320BEE integrated off eBay and pair that with a NAD C521/524 CDP or an Arcam CD72 if you can find one.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
I own both Rotel Ra-01 (comparable to the 04, which is the 05 without remote) and an Onkyo 725 (slightly more powerful/newer 515). Both were connected to the same Tannoy F1s and mainly used with an airport express, so same source.

The Rotel is far superior to the Onkyo. The onkyo is a good unit, no doubt about it, but the rotel is a noticeable step up. I'd say the Rotel sounds warmer, better bass, more enjoyable to listen to it. The harsher treble and more metallic/digital sound of the onkyo was immediately noticely upon switching between the two.

We also have a NAD320bee/C521 in the house (albeit with much better speakers), and it's a warmer more vinyl like sound that the rotel. I'm not the best at describing these things. I personally prefer the Rotel.

I'd say that's a great price for the Rotel combo, i'd go for it!

EDIT: oh and i'm not sure if i have a dodgy unit, but the onkyo's power output (considering it's the 2x50w (at 4 ohms i think?)) is shockingly poor. Needs to be turned up to 30 out of 42 sometimes for just moderate sound from the digital input! Airport express through aux and the volume is more like 20/42 for moderate volume. The Rotel (2x40w @6ohms i think, not sure?) blows it away. Considering your 515 has half the power of my 725 the rotel will be a massive difference. Even though the Tannoy's are easily driven small speakers i feel the rotel has much better control over them and ability to use them.

i hope some of this rambling helps, good luck with your upgrade!

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much to everyone for your opinions. Very helpful. It looks like I will be making an offer tomorrow. One final point, I have found a £20 Amazon voucher on an old email, so could someone recommend a suitable interconnect between the RA05 and RCD02 that I can purchase from the site? Thank you all, once again.

TRENDING THREADS