Upgrade for old Cyrus II/PSX that is on its last legs?

A

Anonymous

System: Cyrus II + PSX, Arcam Alpha CD, Linn Keilidh Speakers with Linn Sondek LP12

Problem: Old Cyrus amp channel cutting out, crackles on volumn control. Has been back to Cyrus for refurb, but has just about had it. Need to replace it but what with?

Reviews seem to indicate the Roksan Kandy K2 amp, as this does have phone input, but I would still like to stick with Cyrus - but separate phono amp?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you really like the Cyrus II you can always buy another.

A service at Cyrus should have fixed your problems though, or they should have at least told you what can't be repaired.

Crackly volume pot should have been easily fixed by them. It takes literally seconds with the top off and a can of switch-cleaner (don't use WD40!)

EDIT: just checked the service price...£188! Wow :O ! Give me £188 and I'll fix it lol.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice - I can say that the service was a few years ago now, and the same faults have redeveloped (which is why I thought it best to replace rather than go thru the service again). Yes it was pricey, but I thought it was worth the effort. I may try to find another Cyrus II as you suggest - which should be a cheaper option than the Roksan Kandy or Cyrus 6.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
£1800 brand new...whoosh! Would it really cost that much to buy something new which substantially betters a Cyrus II and PSX?

I was trying to come up with something that:

- Had phono stage

- Had high quality built-in Dac, for versatility

- Worthwhile step up in performance with good current ability (power doubles as impedance halves - speakers are a 4 Ohm load)

- Has a sound that wouldn't be a shock after Cyrus

- Compact size

I mentioned 2/h or ex-dem, as my dealer had an ex-dem one for around £1200 (I think)......the OP has a good system, and so I threw in a thought provoking, modern solution into the equation.

Getting the right bit of kit, even if a little more expensive, can last longer in the system and end up being good value in the long run. IMO The amp is the heart of the system and can make or break it.

At the end of the day, it's only an opinion which the OP is free to ignore (ps. not having a go as your point was fair - just explaining my logic).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
no I wasn't having a go either. I have a II+psx here and while the presentation is not ideal for my liking/speakers, I do sometimes wonder how much money would be needed to completely better it outright. Back in the day, this combo was at the top of the Mission Cyrus amp line.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's probably more than you want to spend, but how about keepiing an eye out for an ex-dem or second hand Bel Canto C5i amp.....has MM phono stage and excellent built in Dac (could add new life to CDP) as well as a pre-out that could be connected to a sub if necessary.

http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stories/australian-hifi/reviews/2012/2012-08/bel_canto_c5i_dac_amplifier_review_lores.pdf

Past Cyrus owners have been known to go down this route.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
no I wasn't having a go either. I have a II+psx here and while the presentation is not ideal for my liking/speakers, I do sometimes wonder how much money would be needed to completely better it outright. Back in the day, this combo was at the top of the Mission Cyrus amp line.

I suppose it depends on how fussy you are, and the quality of the rest of the system. The OP has an LP12 and Linn Keilidhs, neither of which are too shabby (and imo deserve an amp of a similar standard).

Here is a couple of reviews:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/bel-canto-c5i--pound;1799/8874

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/belcanto2/1.html

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice links Cno. Just be wary that the second link needs the colon removing from the end before it works. Reading the HFC review, it sounds like it would be right at home with my speakers tbh! Yes the Cyrus II has a very fine phono stage, the best I have ever heard (though to be fair I've not exactly heard hundreds) and will work well with his LP12. I wonder if the Bel Canto would lack sparkle compared to what he's used to? Maybe not, but from the HFC review I'd say it has a different sonic character to the Cyrus. The Cyrus has a precise but dry bass and, if anything, an accentuated top end.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Nice links Cno. Just be wary that the second link needs the colon removing from the end before it works. Reading the HFC review, it sounds like it would be right at home with my speakers tbh! Yes the Cyrus II has a very fine phono stage, the best I have ever heard (though to be fair I've not exactly heard hundreds) and will work well with his LP12. I wonder if the Bel Canto would lack sparkle with his LP12 and Keilidhs? Maybe not...I've never heard the speakers.

Thx - sorted.

I have inserted another good review in my first post......which includes a comprehensive lab report.

The BC has a clean and lively presentation, without tip-toeing into brittleness.....I think I would like it, but that's irrelevent......and I suppose it depends on the mods his Linn has, as well as it's arm and cartrige.

IMO. The C5i is a little hidden gem, with a versatility that many others don't match (all you need is laptop + speakers).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it does sound like it's a good 'un. I'm not sure I like the idea that even analogue inputs pass through a 192kHz ADC. I like my analgue to stay analogue. But that's just me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Yeah it does sound like it's a good 'un. I'm not sure I like the idea that even analogue inputs pass through a 192kHz ADC. I like my analgue to stay analogue. But that's just me.

Proof of the pudding....... ;)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh absolutely...I'd happily listen to it with open ears. Shame the USB socket isn't a digital output as well though, considering how the amp works. Opportunity missed to make it a great ADC archiving device as well as a stunning digital amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Oh absolutely...I'd happily listen to it with open ears. Shame the USB socket isn't a digital output as well though, considering how the amp works. Opportunity missed to make it a great ADC archiving device as well as a stunning digital amp.

I'm just happy talking about an amp that seldom gets discussed.

A

Anonymous

OK Guys - thanks for the info - looks like I have some more research to do before I decide what to do... Got a bit of work to do on getting the budget approved anyway! Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JohnLay said:
Got a bit of work to do on getting the budget approved anyway! Cheers

Let us know what you end up doing......and try to listen to a few options, to see if the extra money is worth spending.

BTW. What improvements are on your LP12, and what is the Arm and Cartridge ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts