Upgrade Cyrus Straight Line

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any suggestions for an upgrade? I'm just looking for some more punch and control of the bass at volume. Would also look at adding a cyrus power amp But which one? This will date me on how long ago I last bought hi fi gear, but any advance on my epos ES11s speakers and marantz CD63 KI sig?

They all sound good to me and the mids are great on the eposes, but i just want more power for more (controlled) bass - i.e. a fuller range of sound. Play a full range of music from classical to house. Balance and timing are important to me rather than simply a ton of bass.

Budget? Er, dunno - I've been out of the loop for too long. Nothing too crazy, but it needs to be a step up in performance.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
X Power, used or repro (£500 - £600, if that fits your not too crazy budget). I have one and it is excellent, and as I gather if you're going to spend the money, especially for control, then X Power is the one. As the dealer (highly-respected though doesn't post on this forum) told me on the phone: "You won't regret it."

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Agree with the X-power being a great amp, and a real gem of the Cyrus line up. That does of course assume that you will stick with your SL and use the X-power to bi-amp the speakers - not sure if that's a possible option with your speakers. Or you'll just be using the SL as a pre- with the X power doing all the amplifying duties. There are other power amp options from Cyrus - Smartpowers, 8 powers etc etc, all of which would match well, but in my experience the x-power is a noticeable jump up from all of them, and if you can get a good one second hand or repro then it's worth it.

Alternative option for similar (or possibly slightly less) money is to sell the SL on, and replace with a newer version of the Cyrus integrated. The 8vs2 was / is a cracking integrated now often seen going on ebay for below £500. Kind of depends how many boxes you've got room for, and whether you would see yourself changing out the SL at some point in the future in any case.

If you stick to buying wisely second-hand, then you do always have the option of selling on at little expense if you get it and you're not convinced!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, I was looking at the series 8 & X power. Seeing I can get them for that price is even better. cheers

A

Anonymous

I was imagining getting something to bi-amp - though if I stayed with my current speakers it'll probably be fine by itself (as you suggested, using the SL as a pre). I'm pretty fond of the SL's sound and can't see the point of changing it if I can get more (controlled) kick with the X-power.

Now I just need to hunt one down (or save and get a new one).

Many thanks for your help.

d

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts