Upgrade CD player or get DAC?

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I recently upgraded my amp to a second hand Leema Tucana, which currently is partnered with a Rega Saturn and B&W 805S speakers. I'm considering upgrading the Saturn to get even more out of the amp and speakers but should I simply get a better CD player (an Antila, say) or link the Saturn to a DAC, such as the new Leema Elements one?

Although I haven't got a computer linked up to the hifi yet, I realise a DAC gives more flexibility regarding that in the future, but I'm interested particularly in whether an upgraded CD player or a DAC would give a more cost-effective route to improved quality.

Thanks

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
All things being equal, a dedicated CD player will have a slight edge v the same DAC via USB/co-ax from a digital source.

In your case, the Antila CD player is in the Tucana range, the Elements is the range below.

So purely in terms of SQ from CDs it's a no-brainer. For all the recent progress in DAC chips/async USB and what not, you still need a quality power supply and output stage and that's not cheap.

Might be worth looking at some of the latest CD players that have a digital input, e.g. the new Sugden 21 Fusion spinner, though there are no doubt others.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
paradiziac said:
All things being equal, a dedicated CD player will have a slight edge v the same DAC via USB/co-ax from a digital source.

Why? There's absolutely no evidence for that at all. Quite the opposite if any difference can be determined at all.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
paradiziac said:

Why? There's absolutely no evidence for that at all. Quite the opposite if any difference can be determined at all.

Please note that I said "all things being equal", "slight" and "the same DAC". Perhaps you might need the sort of gear that the OP has to notice much of a difference. I wouldn't be able to tell on my kit.

I admit I'm going on second hand reports/comparisions. Though it is close (as you hinted), I feel the balance of opinion is as I stated.

I'm afraid house rules don't allow me to post any links to sources that would support this viewpoint.

Just as well really...it's only a hobby :wall: ;)

P.S. As to a possible reason, a CD transport is connected internally to the DAC via I2S, which is superior to the USB/co-ax connection offered by most standalone DACs in the sub-£1000 range.

P.P.S The "no brainer" reference was the specific comparison between a £3000 CD player and a £1000 DAC in the price range below. But I might be wrong--I haven't heard the stated combo, it's just common sense I would have thought.

A

Anonymous

paradiziac said:
P.S. As to a possible reason, a CD transport is connected internally to the DAC via I2S, which is superior to the USB/co-ax connection offered by most standalone DACs in the sub-£1000 range.
Cool. I had to look that up (figured you meant I2C instead), but it makes sense. Quite frankly, it is superior even to AES by virtue of using more than one data line :)

A

Anonymous

If you are not oriented in digital source in very short term (computer hifi set up or other) you should wait and enjoy the CDs (so new player) for a while.

My personal point of view is more setup oriented then sound quality as sound take into consideration plenty of parameters that I don’t master (and I’m not talking about “subjectiveness” yet... :) ).

To me even though DAC have been around for years (decade...) only lately it started to reach the interest of the mass market. It might not always be HI-FI related, but we can hear more people talking about plugging computer to their amp via a DAC, streaming here, Apple (or other) airplay there, etc.

This means a lot of development from the audio company will append in short term and you could benefit from it if you wait. (Better technologie, connectivity, cost reduction, etc)

Thats my .02¢!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts