Upgrade AV amp, blu-ray player and TV

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I have Arcam AVR 300, which cost me a bomb some years ago. but it has no in and out HDMI sockets and has been repaired once. I also have a separate Arcam DVD player (DV79) which is fab with DVDs (almost as good as my Piopneer BDF 51FD blu-ray player is with blu-rays (but only 1 HDMI out and very slow, noisy loading). My sony TV 47 inch flat screen TV is great (never a problem) but I am hoping to get a 4K/3D Tv of similar size sometime later this year when prices have eased some more.

I have a separate stereo amp, CD player and speakers (acting as my FL & FR surrounds). I dont envisage altering this arrangement.

I am contemplating a Pioneer AV amp and uprade blu-ray player and a Samsung 4K Tv. Budget about 4000 Euro

I'd like some advice and suggestions

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi there I have the samsunge 558500 and its very good but its curved and has some hot patches in the corners (can only been seen in very dark rooms), love/hate for most because of the curve. Pionner High end amps are all good and will match the arcam for movies how ever for music the arcam will be way better uless your looking at getting the current Lx88 from pioneer..... Which is some what good from what i remember.

You dont mention your speakers but pioneers can come across very detailed and that can be seen by some as bright.

So try and get a home audition if you can. Hope that helps a bit

scene

I had a DV79 plumbed into an AVR250 - more chord crimsons than you could believe. And I had to have my arcam amp repaired; so I know exactly where your coming from...
I've kept the DV79, but I use it only as a CD player for my stereo setup - matched with an arcam A85 I've had since new.
I did briefly use a Yamaha av amp and our was very good with music, but the model I have (which I am about to sell) was too small for my system, so I've now sprung for a Marantz SR7009 which is really, really good. Very good with music and very flexible and easy to setup and use (includes atmos and can be upgraded for auro 3d).
What are your speakers - as they appear to be all you're keeping?
I'd look at the Marantz, also the Yamaha rx-a3020 to 3040 and the pioneer sclx58.
Of you're going to use the bluray for just films, a good Sony or pioneer, but consider a Marantz or demon if you want any kind of universal disc player options.
Screen? Samsung's good, so are Sony. Go for 50-60” if you've got room for it. Look for last season's model, as you'll save a fortune...
Actually that's even truer for the bdp...

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
It was helpful, but maybe I was not very clear in describing my existing system. So here is the full description.

My 5.1 surround speaker system for films/TV was the French Focal sib-sub. But I have a separate front left/right hi-end pair (Canadian Avalon - which are pefect) with Arcam A28 integrated amp. for music and listening to radio 3.

I decided to integrate this combination into my surround system by connecting the A28 with the AVR 300, discarding the front L/R Foculs, which are now lying unused in the cellar. I also have a Denon tuner. The trouble is there is a spagetti junction of connected cables partly due to the lack of HDMI sockets in the AVR 300 and only 1 in the Pioneer blu-ray player. The TV sound is fed through this system. The AVR300 is a 7.1 system and I could connect up the discarded Foculs, but that would mean even more cables. I have never connected up the tuner in the AVR300, prefering the dedicated denon tuner.

The problem for me is too many cables, lack of HDMI sockets and the eventual need to enable 4K/3D. TV. This must mean a new AV processor and blu-ray player. Hence my intererest in the Pioneers. I need some advice on the best for the 4000 Euro budget (current exchange rate is 1.30 Euro per pound.) and how I might be able to reduce the number of cables. Perhaps i dont need the separate tuner???

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I seem to have replied to myself instead of you. Just getting used to it. So if you read my mis-directed reply and still have some advice/suggestions, I would be grateful.

D

Deleted member 116933

Amp wise! the newer arcam's are now fully 4k compatable as well so worth a listen (and the 380 is within your buget) ....especailly as you have one and you enjoy the sound. Just saying! dont know really why your skipping over the newer range. Its just not got the same drive as its bigger brothers.

I think you will miss the sound of the arcam if you went for pioneer. Its a completly different sound.

Maybe the Marantz as mentioned above but i have never been a fan of the audessey (but that's just taste) But as always you need to find a dealer to have a listen to all the options!

I dont think atmos is the do all and end all, as most can't fit in the extra speakers (but nice to have) and you seem to be keeping the speakers you have now.

and would you really miss that tuner?

I actually think the best thing to do is wait till the end of the year for an amp as you seem to be in no rush. and wait for DTS to release there next sound source. DTS x or something. Also Just to make sure 4k spec isn't going to change agian before release of the blu rays. But who am i to say.

Get the tv by all means when your ready but i would get the BDP and amp when 4k blue rays are readilly available there is really not point just yet. But thats just my 2 cents

scene

millennia_one said:
Amp wise! the newer arcam's are now fully 4k compatable as well so worth a listen (and the 380 is within your buget) ....especailly as you have one and you enjoy the sound. Just saying! dont know really why your skipping over the newer range. Its just not got the same drive as its bigger brothers.

I think you will miss the sound of the arcam if you went for pioneer. Its a completly different sound.

Maybe the Marantz as mentioned above but i have never been a fan of the audessey (but that's just taste) But as always you need to find a dealer to have a listen to all the options!

I dont think atmos is the do all and end all, as most can't fit in the extra speakers (but nice to have) and you seem to be keeping the speakers you have now.

and would you really miss that tuner?

I actually think the best thing to do is wait till the end of the year for an amp as you seem to be in no rush. and wait for DTS to release there next sound source. DTS x or something. Also Just to make sure 4k spec isn't going to change agian before release of the blu rays. But who am i to say.

Get the tv by all means when your ready but i would get the BDP and amp when 4k blue rays are readilly available there is really not point just yet. But thats just my 2 cents

Good points

BTW: The AVR380 is a receiver, so has an FM tuner built in - so you could lose the Denon tuner. And it allows for Internet radio playback...

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! That is good advice. I'll check out the Arcam AVR380 and see if I can get a trade in. Reading through recent posts I am persuaded to wait for 4K Blu-ray players to come out. My hunch about the tuner seems correct. Dont need it. I've had it for at least 14 years. This morning i tried the tuner in the Arcam, and its connected, so works. So some cables are gonna disappear later this week. Here in the Netherlands I get BBC radio programmes via cable, so thats another reason for discarding the separate tuner. You are right, I'm not in a hurry. U say the AVR380 is within my budget. The 4000 Euro has to cover all three upgrades. Thanks again!

D

Deleted member 116933

If you find some good deals it should all be on budget but if you space it out! Samsung UE55HU750 tv for example can be had for around £1700 i think and i can't imagin the new blu ray player being much over £500 if at all. Budget can be kept on track with deals. Arcam which at £1500 are offereing a trade in scheme at the mo believe. but it may be a smidge over budget depending on the pricing of the 4K BDP when release. But wait and those sale/end of line prices will come into play.

Like big boss metions though the anthem mrx710 is also another option. But can be troublesome to find for auditions. At least for me any how

millennia_one said:
Just bare in mind the Anthem you will need a PC  or a bootcamped MAC to set it up also needs to be on a on a shared nerwork (Not really sure if you can still link it up with USb or not still). So could be a faff

Both are really good. But again both a very differnet sounds from Arcam. But all as musical

It's the dealer's responsibility to set the Anthem up as far as I'm aware.

D

Deleted member 116933

First time round maybe but there after i dont know?? and they can be bought online not allowing the dealer to install

D

Deleted member 116933

Just bare in mind the Anthem you will need a PC or a bootcamped MAC to set it up, also needs to be on a shared nerwork (Not really sure if you can still link it up with USB or not still). So could be a faff

Both are really good. But again both a very differnet sounds from Arcam. But all as musical

It's not that complicated. This is what Andrew Everard says in his review:

http://andreweverard.com/2014/04/29/review-anthem-mrx-510/

"I have to say Anthem’s UK arm was pretty keen to come and set up the receiver for me, as that would be service offered by an installing retailer, but I wanted to experience the procedure for myself – and it proved surprisingly simple. You’ll need a computer running Windows, and connected to the same home network as the receiver, but beyond that it’s a matter of running the ARC package, loading up a calibration file supplied for the microphone, and off you go.

Before taking measurements you have to set speaker distances manually, as if to reinforce the fact this is’t one of those ‘plonk down the microphone and leave to it do its stuff’ systems found on rival products.

There’s a remarkable amount of adjustment available using the system: once measurement is done, you can see the frequency curves for each speaker and the corrections being made and ‘tweak’ them to get an ideal sound.

Having played with the ARC system for a while, I found a combination of equalisation and adjusting speaker position have the best results: the former for the fine stuff, the latter to correct any major problems such as too much low-end boom if speakers were used too close to walls and especially corners. having tried some deliberately wrong positions, it’s clear the ARC isn’t a ‘fix-it’ solution for bad set-up; however, it is an invaluable tool to help you get things as right as possible.

It’s fascinating, and should appeal to the perfectionist or inveterate fiddler alike; or of course you can just get the installer to do the job for you, then sit back and enjoy the sound.

The same might go for the degree of customisation available here: the Anthem allows you to store settings including the equalisation and listening mode, for more sources than you’ll ever need, allowing them to be recalled as soon as an input is selected. It can all be set up on installation, meaning using the receiver is a simple pushbutton affair."

D

Deleted member 116933

I never said it was differcult i just said it was a little faffy. I know its easy enough to do yourself after having a siesmic 110 with PBK it takes literally 2 mins but i was just pointing out that if you wish to make a change in speaker placement or what not you will need a computer of sorts. So a little faffy. Where as the other amps you just pull out a mic and press a button.

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Read the reviews. Dont want the ATMOS facility on the Marantz, nor the analogue outputs - I want to reduce the number of cables cluttering up behind the TV and equipment rack. The Anthem review was glowing, but the 710 is too dear and above my needs. Maybe the 510 would suite me better. (Does this have a bi amp connection too?). Is there a review for that? Maybe I could get it for 1500 GBP or less by the autumn when I hope good 4K blu-ray players will become available. I'll upgrade my TV then too, but the budget will still be approx. 4000 Euro or 3500 GBP. Thanks again.Good advice always welcome.

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
When I find a dealer I'll get them to set it up too. Hope I don't appear too think, but when your refer to plugging into the "network", I presume you mean the supplier of TV/radio signals and so plugging them into the AV amp?

D

Deleted member 116933

Nope internet router it has to be coonected to your internet router to be setup with the ARC.

I persoanlly would get the mrx 310 your really paying for very little return on the 510. just power. which really isn't much difference. And Anthems all sound the same through out the range just with varying different degrees of power.

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Again thanks for the good advice. The 310 would save me 400 GBP... not to be sniffed at!

I have a laptop which enables me to do this on here, so I presume theres a router between here and the ISP plugged into the mains. I am on cable.

I presume the 310 has the ARC facility too.

Bonajones38

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have 7 speakers and 1 bass unit. 2 of the surround speakers are unused in the cellar as I use my expensive Avalons both as my stereo pair for music and as front L/R speakers for my surround system. I have never used the full 7.1 facility of my Arcam AVR. I have a separate Arcam integrated amp for music, but connected up to my AVR. Not sure if I really need all these connections, though. Maybe some connections are not necessary. Thanks for pointing out the MRX 310 is a 5.1 system. Is a 7.1 system that much of an improvment in surround sound experience?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts