Upgrade amp or speakers?

T

the record spot

So what's next guys? New amp to replace the current Marantz PM6010-KI or upgrade the speakers from the Missions? Budget roughly £700 (new or used). Sound preference detailed, open, but good bass handling; not necessarily deep, but realistic and well handled. Options?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
you might be able to get a primare i30 for about £800 on ebay. if you haven't heard one, they sound great. i thought the bass with my dyn's was really good. i was going to get one but i'm now thinking of getting the a30.2 poweramp and partnering with a benchmark dac1 pre. just gotta wait for an a30.2 on ebay now....

John Duncan

Tricky. If you're lucky, yes you could, and you'd definitely get an A30.2 - both are brilliant. But despite my desire to indoctrinate everyone into Primare fanboydom, in this case I'd be more inclined to go for speakers, I think.

Will the 6010 drive these, do you think? I'm not that au fait with it.

T

the record spot

Thanks gyus - I should add that the Marantz is a bit of a lean player; super mid and nice treble, but the bass is at best taut, definately not bloomy and so I'd need something that articulates all three well. Budget is tight though, so £700 is about as good as it will get.

How about M-S Mezzo 6's against the PMCs? Or Paradigm which I hear very good things of?

John Duncan

I haven't heard the Mezzo, I've never really got on with MS so have never sought them out to hear them. Tell you what though, Drummerman's new fave KEF is a real bargain at the mo - you could get them AND a s/h or exdem Primare i21 for your 700 quid.....

Ooo. Now you're talking.

John Duncan

KEF iQ5SE. Drummerman liked them v much in his recent uberaudition. 300 at Superfi.

And an i21 can be had for 400 with patience, easily - there's one on there for 499 B.I.N at the moment, but I'd wait for a slightly cheaper one.

If you like knobs that is.

T

the record spot

Ah, not convinced by the KEF range; they don't it for me to be fair. I should check with Marantz to see what they think come to think of it. I'll look into the Primare though....!

A

Anonymous

I'd look into changing the speakers. I'm not quite sure how the Marantz will work with them but I'd look into the Rega R3 or R5. Excellent speakers but don't want to be partnered with anything bright. They have a nice balance and image very well for the price.

T

the record spot

igglebert:I'd look into changing the speakers. I'm not quite sure how the Marantz will work with them but I'd look into the Rega R3 or R5. Excellent speakers but don't want to be partnered with anything bright. They have a nice balance and image very well for the price.

It was going well until you mentioned bright! The two Marantz bits and bobs I have are the audio equivalent of a sunlamp. Good call though; I didn't appreciate the Rega's were bright beasties.

EDIT: Any thoughts on the amp...? I see the Audiolab 800s is at a good price out there just now and seems to have a good reputation; any others? Or do you really think the speakers would be the biggest overall area where I could gain?

A

Anonymous

Well, they were bright on my prior Kandy CDP and Rotel amp in a very bright sounding lounge! If they're available locally I would give them a spin but don't go out of your way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts