Upgrade Advise Please - Amp and Speakers. Bit Confused what to do!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I've been out the loop with hi-fis for a while, but now it's time to upgrade. My current system is a Yamaha CDX-595 CD Player, my PC, Yamaha AX-392 60WPC Amp and Bose Acoustimass 3 Series IV Speakers.

For a long time I've been using my PC as my main source with an Auzentech X-Meridan Soundcard and my Senn 595s and Grado SR60s getting all the attention due to lack of space until now.

The room size is 13ft x 13ft and I plan on spending around £600 on an Amp and Speakers using my PC as my main source. I mainly listen to Rock and Electronica such as massive attack, the who, razorlight, doves, turin brakes, zero7.

I'm considering the B&W 686s or 685s ( not sure which is suitable for my room size). I also thought of buying an AV amp such as the Yamaha RXN600D (network functions any good?) and using the Bose as rears and getting a cheap Centre.

Is my speaker choice good and which of the two would suit my circumstances? Is the network function any good on the Yamaha RXN600D for MP3 use?

Should I bother with an AV amp or just use my current old amp or buy a new Rotel Stereo amp?

Thanks and I look forward to some help!

A

Anonymous

If you're willing to stretch the budget the AVI ADM9 are perfect for this application. They are an active speaker with a DAC, and very domestically acceptable because they come in nice wooden finishes and have a remote-controlled pre amp. You simply plug an optical or USB from the computer into the back. That's it!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response but they're a bit pricey and I was possbily looling at a surround setup. I think I'm set on a pair of B&W's but what model I don't know and what amp to partner them with I don't know!? It would seem a shame to waste my Bose speakers when they could make ideal rears but at the same time a nice new Rotel RA-06 could be just the trick.

Anyone else ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The B&W 685s are terrific speakers in my opinion and worth the extra outlay if you can over the 686s - I haven't heard the 684s, but they got 5 stars in the latest issue of WHF.

I see you're thinking of getting a surround setup - is music still going to be of paramount importance to you?

A

Anonymous

id go with the 685s with the rotel or something simular at the moment and then add a av receiver with pre-outs as funds allow which you can you use in tandem with the rotel.

A

Anonymous

Music through my PC is going to be the main use but seeing as it's for a living room setup I thought I use my old speakers and get a surround setup. Are the 686s too small for a 13ft x 13ft room and to be used as fronts?

I'm beginning to think an RA04 and some 685s would be a good setup and I should forget the surround sound! Are the 686s / 685s suitable for television and movies in stereo?

A

Anonymous

Go with the ra 04 and 685 for now then when funds allow add a B&W HTM62 CENTRE £200 and cambridge audio 540r £199 (richersounds) plus some small bookshelfs for surrounds or your bose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts