Upgrade advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my current system, but only have a maximum of £300 to spend. I have an Arcam 7SE CD, a Musical Fidelity B200 Amp, a Videologic tuner and Kef Q5 speakers.

Although I'm really happy with the sound, I want a more practical set up: remote control and I stream most of my music now via an Onkyo USB .

Here are the options, do I:

1. Sell the amp and buy a Marantz PM 6400

2. Sell all the separates, bar the speakers, and buy a second hand Arcam Solo

3. Sell the amp but buy a second hand hi end .e.g Roksan Kandy or Arcam Alpha 9 or 10?

I'm really interested to know which of the options would give me the best sound? Or should I just live with what I've got and not spend because it wouldn't give me an improvement? Although the Musical Fidelity is ages old and runs very warm, it sounds gorgeous.

Thanks for any help!

Dan.

A

Anonymous

The Onkyo is a digital wireless receiver called Synic. I play most of the music through that from my pc or plug in an iPad or iPod to the aux of the amp.

A

Anonymous

The Kefs are bi wired with Van Den Hul and the components are linked with QED.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I would get an Apple Airport Express (refurbished from Apple to save cash) and replace the Onkyo USB receiver. You can then use the iPad to remotely control the Pc running iTunes, using iTunes Remote from the app store.

I don't know which iPod you have, but if it has wifi (touch models), these can also run the iTunes Remote App.

The laptop could then be used for internet radio streaming and also CD playback.

Sell any unused remaining equipment and save for an upgrade further down the line.

Edit: You could get an Apple TV instead of the AEX and this would give you video streaming capability also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts