Upgrade - Active or power?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I reached the ripe old age of 21 a few weeks ago and, along with my recently acquired new job, am now able to look at upgrading from a Linn Majik DSM/Kudos Super 20's. For some time my initial thoughts have been to add a power amp and had planned to that before the redundancy fairy struck.

However I have recently listened to an Active (Aktiv) Linn system, also with Super 20s and it does sound pretty impressive though I can't totally decide if it's impressive enough to involve the outlay over what adding just a power amp may do. I wasn't able to A/B the two setups.

The latter option is far cheaper.

Anyone toyed with the same dilemma and, if so, what did you decide? Is Active worth it?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul,

I've toyed with the idea of going active a number of times over the years but then found a passive speaker that suited our room (the ATC SCM11). I would love to hear an active ATC at home but would not love its price tag! The same probably goes for Linn kit too. Must say that my present (passive) set up with the Majik DSM, ATCs and Nord sounds superb but who knows whether it could be bettered at a similar price? I've a feeling it would cost more but I may be wrong, I know there are many who reckon that AVI actives are the dogs b**** but many wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! I also considered PMC actives following comments here from Davedotco but heard the SCM11s first and was smitten.

Anyway, happy birthday and good hunting. By the way, if you do stay passive, I'd still recommend the Nord as the must-have power amp. It's terrific (see my recent post and check out the review on the Wigwam).

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Paul, how on earth have you gotten £7000 (if bought new) or roughly £3000 (if bought 2nd hand) at the tender age of 21 to spend on the Linn DSM and the Kudos 20's?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I fully appreciate that what i am about to suggest will ruffle a few feathers, but I would be tempted to look into the pro market for active options, particularly so when value for money is taken into account.

There are issues though, you are not goint to get pretty littly floorstanders in a nice wood finish, but what you will get is a well matched, highly integrated solution that saves you space (no piles of Linn amplifiers, crossovers, power supplies) and money.

Two of my favourite speakers, the Unity Audio "The Rock" and PMC's impressive Twotwo.5, are easily with in reach price wise, just under and just over £3k respectively. The Two.two.6 at a little over £4k is an option too, but I have not really had much time with this.

The other two models offer a degree of transparency that may come as something of a shock to hi-fi users, but once tou make the adjustment, it is ver hard to step back to 'regular' hi-fi, however good.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

For a magazine where I have friends in, we compaired active SCM50 to passive SCM50 from ATC. We didn't heard any difference at all until the moment we used extremely powerful and expensive amps, and the differences where too tiny to really say that they couldn't have been triggered by expectation bias.

On the paper, active speakers have all the advantages. In practice, you can find passive speakers that are set up so seriously, that you will find them as good as their active counterparts.

But there is one thing great with active speakers, it's the fact that you don't waste your money in some hifi magicus with 3 zeros behind the initial number. The onboard power units are generally just fine and make a splendid job for not that much of a money.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Paul, how on earth have you gotten £7000 (if bought new) or roughly £3000 (if bought 2nd hand) at the tender age of 21 to spend on the Linn DSM and the Kudos 20's?

I guess there are 2 possible explanations:

1 - I stole it.

or

2 - I'm not really 21 but '21'.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
lindsayt said:

I guess there are 2 possible explanations:

1 - I stole it.

or

2 - I'm not really 21 but '21'.

You're not Adele's brother are you Paul? *biggrin*

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
A slightly different perspective on the same question. Would a Devialet Le 200 offer me equivalent or better performance than an active setup? It actually works out less expensive than the Linn option but I know diddly about Devialet stuff.

Cheers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
A slightly different perspective on the same question. Would a Devialet Le 200 offer me equivalent or better performance than an active setup?  It actually works out less expensive than the Linn option but I know diddly about Devialet stuff.

Cheers.
I can only indirectly answer your question.

I have come to two conclusions about Linn Active Speakers:

1. They sound better than the Non-Active versions.
2. For the money they cost, you can put something together that sounds better for less (often substantially less).

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

1. They sound better than the Non-Active versions. 2. For the money they cost, you can put something together that sounds better for less (often substantially less).

Just spent the last hour or so reading about the Le200 as it looks very appealing indeed. However I think it's a non starter for me as (unless I have misunderstood) it will not support UPnP from a NAS.

Going Aktiv (sik *biggrin*) is very expensive and somewhat fiddly as if you choose the Exakt route then you are looking at a minimum of 2 boxes (Majik) and 3 (Akurate).

Must confess to being a tad blind to other options. If I assume I'll keep my existing speakers (which can't be bi-amped btw) - what would you look at as an alternative?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Have a listen to the Arcam A49 (or P49) and maybe some Kef Refs on the end of that (I have not heard the Kudos, so can't comment on that synergy).

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
CnoEvil said:

1. They sound better than the Non-Active versions. 2. For the money they cost, you can put something together that sounds better for less (often substantially less).

Just spent the last hour or so reading about the Le200 as it looks very appealing indeed. However I think it's a non starter for me as (unless I have misunderstood) it will not support UPnP from a NAS.

Going Aktiv (sik *biggrin*) is very expensive and somewhat fiddly as if you choose the Exakt route then you are looking at a minimum of 2 boxes (Majik) and 3 (Akurate).

Must confess to being a tad blind to other options. If I assume I'll keep my existing speakers (which can't be bi-amped btw) - what would you look at as an alternative?

A Devialet 200 will support NAS playback via USB.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/articles/203402331-How-to-connect-a-NAS

A Devialet is worth the investment for SAM alone for the difference it makes to speakers IMO.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd try to arrange an audition of the pro gear that Davedotco suggests to scratch this itch. You could take along your Majik as source. The Linn streamers also use Space as you'll appreciate so there's room for some manoeuvre on sound.
I'd be fascinated to hear this combo (Linn with active PMC or the Rock's)......

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

A Devialet is worth the investment for SAM alone for the difference it makes to speakers IMO.

So I am hearing and it's definitely got my interest but I think I am going to wait until they develop it a little further before going down that route. A streamer without UPnP support, IMHO, isn't ok in 2016 and the lack of integrated streaming services (I use Qobuz sublime) and iRadio is also a big switch off for me.

Sure there are workarounds (and thanks for pointing the USB one out as I wasn't aware) but I want something that I don't have to faff about with.

Back to the Aktiv options.....

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
Infiniteloop said:

So I am hearing and it's definitely got my interest but I think I am going to wait until they develop it a little further before going down that route. A streamer without UPnP support, IMHO, isn't ok in 2016 and the lack of integrated streaming services (I use Qobuz sublime) and iRadio is also a big switch off for me.

Sure there are workarounds (and thanks for pointing the USB one out as I wasn't aware) but I want something that I don't have to faff about with.

Back to the Aktiv options.....

If you're serious about SQ, go have a listen to a Devialet before you commit to anything else at this level.

They're not for everyone, but if you value accuracy, transparency, musicality and power with a very high level of versatility (and the real difference SAM makes) a Devialet cannot be ignored IMO.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I am tempted to do that but as I said the lack of capability in the streaming dept is a little offputting.

I have options of course with either retaining the Linn as a streamer only (rendering the Devialet as a rather expensive power amp until they get their act together with streaming) or conversely use a MacBook Pro/Audirvana remotely but that's all a bit of a faff isn't it?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
I am tempted to do that but as I said the lack of capability in the streaming dept is a little offputting.

I have options of course with either retaining the Linn as a streamer only (rendering the Devialet as a rather expensive power amp until they get their act together with streaming) or conversely use a MacBook Pro/Audirvana remotely but that's all a bit of a faff isn't it?

I use a MacBook Pro with Audirvana+ and iTunes and a Devialet 200 and its absolutely fine. I can control it all wirelessly on my iPhone or iPad too. There's also a Devialet App for volume control too. - Not a Faff at all.

In fact, with my current set-up I can stream from my mac Mini downstairs to my MacBook Pro upstairs and then into my Devialet 200 all from my iPhone....

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm curious how you do that from a NAS (if you do?). Which remote app do you use to control Audirvana (I have seen their own remote app but am not sure if it gives visibility of the NAS?

Can you perhaps depict your setup in an 'a-> b-> c> etc text so I can understand how it all hangs together both from a connection and control point of view?

I guess we'll disagree on the faff - my ideal is an integrated solution as far as I can make it so. Glad you like it though it does look a tremendously capable piece of kit.

Thanks for the help.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Paulq said:
I'm curious how you do that from a NAS (if you do?). Which remote app do you use to control Audirvana (I have seen their own remote app but am not sure if it gives visibility of the NAS?

Can you perhaps depict your setup in an 'a-> b-> c> etc text so I can understand how it all hangs together both from a connection and control point of view?

I guess we'll disagree on the faff - my ideal is an integrated solution as far as I can make it so. Glad you like it though it does look a tremendously capable piece of kit.

Thanks for the help.

I have all my music stored on a Mac Mini on both its internal hard drives and external drives. Audirvana works seamlessly with iTunes in 'integrated mode' which just uses iTunes for its library handling. I use Apple's own 'Remote' App for iTunes. With Audirvana in integrated iTunes mode the App is effectively controlling Audirvana.

I have been considering a dedicated streamer but really don't see the point as what I have is Faff-free IMO, and works very effectively.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts