Universal DVD or high-end CD?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know this question must have been asked a thousand times and perhaps someone can point me to a relevant thread, but.....

Should I buy an all-singing, all-dancing unversal DVD player or a mid-rangs CD player?

I have a collection of SACDs, a couple of DVD-As. My main interest is music, as i don't watch that many films and don't (yet) have an HD TV. But My wife has chosen a new entertainment unit and there's not enough room for my current DVD player and CD player.

I'm tempted by the Marantz DV-7001 or Denon DVD2800. But equally, as i have been far from impressed with the sound from my current Pioneer universal (and thus went back to an earlier Phillips dedicated CD player), i am a bit hesitant, despite all the good reviews.

I am running it through a Cambridge Audio AV amp, which may be my next replacement. Looking to spend under a grand.

Any ideas?

T

the record spot

I hear good things of the Denon 3930 universal player, which one of the reviewers on another hi fi mag uses at home and rates it highly. Circa £900, but it's getting on a bit now, so could be a winner on a good price reduction. Likewise NAD T585 (around £800, but more recent), Arcam DV137 (£900, but shop around for deals) too. All 3 offer SACD, DVD-A and HDCD as well as CD.

Equally, for £1000, you'll get some superb CD players, some of which will offer SACD and some not. This price also takes up towards the lower end valve units too (Eastern Electric Minimax) and I think around £1100 will get you the astoundingly beguiling Edgar CD1, Unison Research Unico (or Secundo for the later machine) and various others. Depends on your sonic preferences, but you can have some stellar hardware for this money (and less for that matter).

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I suppose some Universal disc spinner do sound very good (Pioneer 989i, Arcam DV range and the NAD T585 mentiond above are the few that I have heard/owned) however dedicate high-end CD player will be class above when 2 channel music is play.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have a Denon DVD3930 and it is a very good CD player, especially when used in DIRECT MODE with all video and display circuits turned off and usng analog out rather than either Optical or Coax Digital. I also bagged mine for under £500 as a ex-demo unit which is inMy books fantastic value for money for a true all round player.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I'm heading to Hong Kong in two weeks (I live in Sydney) and want to snag a bargain

A

Anonymous

actually, does anytone have anything specific to say about the Marantz DV-7100? it's almost GBP 1000 here in rip-off Australia. I hear good things, but is it musical?

T

the record spot

Yamaha's CD-S2000 has had some good write-ups recently too; also carries SACD compatibility.

John Duncan

Or was it the S2700, which was going for 250 quid in places recently (down from a grand)? And didn't it have DVD-A compatibility as well - this might be a way forward, since I understand the CD replay was very good (for 250 quid anyway!).

T

the record spot

Nope - I'm thinking of the S2000; unless the S2700 was a predecessor? The S2000 is a thousand right enough though.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
But the advantage with some thing like the DENON DVD3930 is that not only will it do a very good job with CD's but it will also do a fantastic job with Your DVD collection. I for one cant see the point of having 2 units in My all ready cluttered rack to do a job that 1 unit can do very well.[*]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts