UnitiQute update

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Odd you should say that - I did spot the first seasonal sign (Christmas cake ingredients section being expanded) in Sainsbury's this weekend. They used to wait until at least August Bank Holiday....

A

Anonymous

Serves you right for listening to Chris Evans
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:chebby:Oh well. Maybe a nice Christmas present to myself then.

Is this a definite or a definite maybe?
emotion-5.gif

How would I know? The demo model that is eventually destined for my local Naim dealer is still sitting in a factory in Salisbury whilst their elves enjoy a summer break. Then it has to have a software fix applied. Then (I assume) testing. Then eventually I will get to hear it. (If Naim don't find any other glitches.)

The 'idea' of the the UnitiQute is spot on. The price is ok. The spec shows it has what I need and Naim recommend my speakers to go with it.

Hopefully the reality will tick the remaining boxes.

chebby:plastic penguin:chebby:Oh well. Maybe a nice Christmas present to myself then.

Is this a definite or a definite maybe?
emotion-5.gif

How would I know? The demo model that is eventually destined for my local Naim dealer is still sitting in a factory in Salisbury whilst their elves enjoy a summer break. Then it has to have a software fix applied. Then (I assume) testing. Then eventually I will get to hear it.

The 'idea' of the the UnitiQute is spot on. The price is ok. The spec shows it has what I need and Naim recommend my speakers to go with it.

Hopefully the reality will tick the remaining boxes.

Sorry, I assumed you'd already auditioned it...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Sorry, I assumed you'd already auditioned it...

Not even WHF have auditioned it. Almost certainly no-one outside of Naim have heard one.

It has what I need. (FM, DAB & internet tuners, streaming via wireless or ethernet, 30wpc amp, built in DAC with just enough connections, direct digital - Apple authenticated - connection for iPod to DAC)

Also it has a... "Switchable bass contour control for low-volume listening" which has me intrigued because I listen a lot at lower levels. (And because it's Naim's first 'tone control' ever.)

I could go from four boxes to one - half width - box, from four mains cables to just one, and go from three analogue interconnects to none at all.

Bliss. (If it sounds right.)

chebby:

plastic penguin:Sorry, I assumed you'd already auditioned it...

Not even WHF have auditioned it. Almost certainly no-one outside of Naim have heard one.

It has what I need. (FM, DAB & internet tuners, streaming via wireless or ethernet, 30wpc amp, built in DAC with just enough connections, direct digital - Apple authenticated - connection for iPod to DAC)

Also it has a... "Switchable bass contour control for low-volume listening" which has me intrigued because I listen a lot at lower levels. (And because it's Naim's first 'tone control' ever.)

(Again) thought it had already hit the shops.

Seems the obvious choice, although the new Arcam Solo Neo also ticks the right boxes. TBH not sure how the two compare price-wise.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:...although the new Arcam Solo Neo also ticks the right boxes. TBH not sure how the two compare price-wise.

The Solo-Neo has a CD player which rules it out.

Also not quite sure about number, type and placement of the Neo's digital connections yet. Like does it offer two optical digital connections on the back? (Or is it's iPod connection direct digital straight to the Neo's DAC like the UnitiQute?)

And the configuration is wrong. I like the narrow Naim unit, even if it is deeper. The Neo is wide.

The Neo looks pretty though. Price about the same. (I think.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Also not quite sure about number, type and placement of the Neo's digital connections yet. Like does it offer two optical digital connections on the back? (Or is it's iPod connection direct digital straight to the Neo's DAC like the UnitiQute?)

The Solo Neo has a USB socket on the rear, and a multipin connector for the Arcam rDock. It has no conventional digital inputs, but it does have a digital output.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:The Solo Neo has a USB socket on the rear, and a multipin connector for the Arcam rDock. It has no conventional digital inputs, but it does have a digital output.

Thanks for the delving Andrew. Appreciated.

From those facts it is back to the UnitiQute as the best option in terms of connections as well as not having an unwanted CD player.

I also don't like the idea of seperate iPod docks/transports (plus their wires) if the alternative is to plug straight into the DAC like on the UnitiQute. (Just noticed it charges too.)

G@d, it hope it sounds good too. (Although I am not expecting it to outperform my current Naim seperates. That would be a bit unreasonable.)

A

Anonymous

chebby:
G@d, it hope it sounds good too. (Although I am not expecting it to outperform my current Naim seperates. That would be a bit unreasonable.)

Bizarrly I don't think that's out of the question. You might prefer it's sound!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:chebby:G@d, it hope it sounds good too. (Although I am not expecting it to outperform my current Naim seperates. That would be a bit unreasonable.)

Bizarrly I don't think that's out of the question. You might prefer it's sound!

Well I am certainly going to prefer it to the current set-up in terms of being able to free up space. The whole plan includes getting our next TV professionally wall-mounted along with my N-Sats too.

In total we will gain between 3 and 4 square metres of living room back. (Not that the room is small but extra space like that is always welcome.) I have my thoughts on a nice sideboard. Remember those?

Bit of flock wallpaper too maybe! (To help damp reflections of course.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:chebby:500 units made, but waiting for a software update to sort out a minor bug before shipping somewhen this month. (Hopefully.)hi chebbyfrom what i hear

Yes I 'heard' (read it actually) as a news item on the website of the Naim dealership I bought my speakers from. Their information has always been very reliable.

Hi chebby

From what i hear Naim will commence shipping the UnitiQute after their summer shutdown.

Btw, i am sorry for not finishing my message earlier as i kept on getting an error message everytime i tried to post the reply.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS