Uniti2 thoughts

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I had been looking at upgrading my Marantz 6004 amp / cd combo looking at Roksan K2 but drawn to Naim unitilite after a couple of demos. In all the pre Christmas madness I found an ex demo Uniti2 for £1700 and thought must be good!,I listened to it at the dealer on KEF floorstanders that sounded awful but better with some B and W . At home with my MA RX1 they sound strong detailed and authoritative but to my dismay the soundstage is lacking. After some meddling I think it is nearly as good as my old Marantz. I suppose I knew soundstage was not a Naim strength but I feel it is just 2 dimensional i don't feel immersed in the music . I had intended to invest in some PMC Twenty 21 , Spendor perhaps maybe Proac. Would these open up the soundstage?

my main gripe is the lack of aerial inputs when DAB and Fm are offered with only one input and no aerial supplied . My £170 Denon came with 3 inputs and 3 aerials . How am I supposed to make the dab/fm work? Why should I go rummaging around Maplins for splitters etc.

All in all I am quite pleased with it but wonder what I could expect with a major speaker upgrade. Any thoughts?

Tim

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It's a Naim, they don't do complete (accessories etc) and they don't do soundstage.

Getting better speakers and getting them well out into the room will help a lot, paricularly with front to back resolution, but in this respect at least you would have done better buying an alternative.

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I should have explored an Arcam option but the uniti 2 came along at a Unitilite price so I jumped. What are the best systems for a room filling soundstage ?

Tim

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I bought an exdemo unitilite. I agree that there is a lack of soundstage compare to my previous amp. But it is still good enough. Plenty of width -detail for me. What is especially good is the fullness and richness of the sound. Great bass depth and detail- all round attack and listenability. It all seems a great match for my epos es 14 speakers. I like the internet radio and streaming lossless wav files from my laptop. I used to be sceptical of naim equipment - but this is a great peice of kit (in my opinion anyway).

tonky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts