Uniti 1 vs Unitiqute or Audiolab

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
I have been looking at a Unitiqute for some time now but have been put off by its slight reduction in power over the Uniti 1. All of my music is stored on a Synology NAS in Losses formats although I have, like most, kept the Silver disc which, if I went down the Unitiqute route I might add a Audolab 8200cd to the set up later. (and also link it to a AVR for surround duties)

Now there are some deals to be done on the Uniti 1 as it has been updraded, making it only slightly more than a Unitiqute. Or do I shelve that altogether and go Audiolab 8200cdq with a power amp?

I listen to mainly Rock/Vocal music and would pair the setup with either B&W CM8/9

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard either, but just from their specs, I wouldn't want a UnitQute for a main system, large room or loud levels. IME, 30 watts just isn't enough. Even with 50 watts, I'd say you have to be a bit careful about speaker matching, having said that your CM8s don't look too difficult a load.

How about a Squeezebox Touch (or Sonos) for digital duties and a good amp? The new NAD C3900DD looks very interesting, and the Onkyo TX8050 has had really good user feedback and would make a nice, neat system.

If you like the Audiolab range, how about an M-DAC and power amp?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have not personally heard the Naim but from what I read they might excite the metal tweeter in CM series as I owned the CM7s and CM9s for long time.

I had Audiolab equipment (M-DAC as well as their 8000 series integrated and power amps at different times) and they I like what they do. Very musical and clean. 8200 CDQ is highly regarded and the newer 8200 series power amps are supposedly a tad better.

IMO, I would go for the Audiolab option.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Have you thought about the new Naim NAC-N172xs? A streaming pre-amp which you can add whatever power amp you like? The Unitis have been very popular, and many people who have liked the Uniti idea have bought them with a Naim power amp so that they can use much better speakers. With the new pre, you don't have a power amp section (Uniti) sitting there redundant.

The newer Naim amplification is more 'friendly' than the old olive stuff, but at least the N172 will allow you to choose whatever you feel suits your CM's.

The CDQ and P is an excellent combination, and highly recommended.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Also worth noting, you can pick up the uniti 1 with the 24/192 board for £1700 (which I did). This is a relative bargain as far as I am concerned which makes it only a couple of hundred quid more than the qute.

John Duncan

I'd have a Uniti over a Qute if the price diffential was tolerable. It's got more scale and is just a bit more practical really with the extra fucntionality of display and CD player. I certainly wouldn't worry about having the earlier 24/96 board, though I'd make sure I got one that supported iPod over USB from the front rather than the very first ones which needed the n-Link cable plugged in round the back (not sure if those two capabilities are linked...).

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, it was the later Uniti 1 that the deal was on, I would love to go for the Naim Preamp/Streamer, just pushes the budget a little too far. Ultimately if I get a great deal on a Uniti 1 now the option is there to add a power amp at a later date.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Given that a discounted Uniti and the CM8s/CM9s would still total around £2.5K - £3K, have you thought about a pair of AVI ADM40s? Excellent review here from a member who has just bought some to replace a £10K Naim/Neat system.

(In fact the ADM40s only cost him as much as the RRP of his next Naim PSU upgrade!)

motley said:
Ultimately if I get a great deal on a Uniti 1 now the option is there to add a power amp at a later date.

That's how it starts on it's way to being a £10K Naim system one day :)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
motley said:
Thanks for the feedback, it was the later Uniti 1 that the deal was on, I would love to go for the Naim Preamp/Streamer, just pushes the budget a little too far. Ultimately if I get a great deal on a Uniti 1 now the option is there to add a power amp at a later date.

That's exactly the way i was viewing it :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts