Unfussy standmount speakers please...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Like many people - I suppose - my 'listening room' is far from ideal. I bought a pair of Quad Q11's and they are on a pair of Atacama sand filled stands. The potential of these speakers is obvious, but due in no small part to the rear firing ports, they really want to be in front of a solid wall...well, one is in front of a window and blinds, the other is partly in front of another window (!) and a bit of wall. Would a standmount speaker which is ported to the front be less fussy about what is behind it? Maybe the B&W 685's? Any help appreciated.

A

Anonymous

685s are boomers.

Dali Lektor 1 or 2 or Monitor Audio BR1 or RS1 are lighter.

A

Anonymous

Cheers. Did wonder about the Dali's. Thanks again for advice.

A

Anonymous

The MA RS1s are rear-ported and I found boomed a bit. Proac Studio 110s are front ported so may suit well. PMC DB1i are transmission line (believe it or not) and open at the rear. They don't suffer from the same port limitations so might work well. Also, Spendor S3e and SA1 are very easy to place, with the latter being infinite baffle (sealed).

A

Anonymous

well, i have 685's and when demoing i asked about this and they said they weren't so bad, they arent meant to be close to a wall etc for sound quality but do come with optional wallmounts and i moved them back in the room and couldnt notice any real differences in sound, so id reccomend a demo.

A

Anonymous

I have the 685s and they are positioned about a foot or so of the rear wall and i dont find them boomy at all.

matthewpiano

What cables are you using and what electronics are driving your Quads? The Quads need reasonable space around them but they are well worth persevering with. They are much better speakers than the 685s - more balanced, with better imaging, and better driver integration.

They are, however, very revealing and, consequently sensitive to what you partner them with. I had a pair with entry level Arcam kit 3-4 years ago and didn't get on with them. Fairly recently I purchased another pair and, with both the Pioneer A400 and my current NAD, they are absolutely superb.

A

Anonymous

Agree with the other post - my 685s are about 10" from plasterboard interior wall and they are fine. Did notice that much closer than this and they can get boomey (there also about 1m apart but let's not go there . . .!)

A

Anonymous

nemof:I have the 685s and they are positioned about a foot or so of the rear wall and i dont find them boomy at all.

Ditto, mine are 20cm from rear wall, filling my stands 3/4 with sand took care of the 'boom'.

A

Anonymous

Pmaninit:
nemof:I have the 685s and they are positioned about a foot or so of the rear wall and i dont find them boomy at all.

Ditto, mine are 20cm from rear wall, filling my stands 3/4 with sand took care of the 'boom'.

I'm sure that you wouldn't think that if you heard a system with substantial bass grip.

A

Anonymous

A Scientist who isn't in the audio industry, has posted on the HDD Forum an analysis of Passive speakers showing why they boom. It is well worth reading. It is because they only have a damping factor of about two and this means very poor cone control.

Science and measurement of hi fi is actually both interesting and terribly helpful IMO, so I do hope you'll read it and also bear in mind that low powered amplifiers make booming worse.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:Pmaninit:

I'm sure that you wouldn't think that if you heard a system with substantial bass grip.

! Admittedly, I used the foam bungs at first but as I said filling the stands almost eliminated the boom, now there's only a slight resonance on very bassy tracks, i.e. MIA.

manicm

Jarnesque:Agree with the other post - my 685s are about 10" from plasterboard interior wall and they are fine. Did notice that much closer than this and they can get boomey (there also about 1m apart but let's not go there . . .!)

Yes, me too, and I have them on a table!! Luckily I'm moving the stuff to another room with proper space and will get B&W's own stands on recommendation from my dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts