Ultimate Guide

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Got a copy today and had a flick through. Perhaps I'm missing something but can't see either the cyrus 8 player nor Rega's R3 or 5. Understand you can't list every product but imo these are serious omissions especially when oddball entries such as pioneers oak whisky barrel speakers made the grade. Next year perhaps?

T

the record spot

I realise I asked this question elsewhere (in the about the mag section) but as it's not been answered (that's not a gripe either by the way Clare, Andrew, Andy & Co!) and fits with the subject here, I'll ask again; no Linn Majik LP12?

I'm not a Linn afficianado - they're way out my league - but this was a big upgrade for the venerable deck that was at least on a par with the P3 upgrade comparitively speaking. I accept, as above, that you can't do them all, but what a miss!

A

Anonymous

Noticed no Arcam gear was in, not that i mind.

I was really impressed with the ultimate guide, found it really helpful indeed, well done whf team.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"]I was really impressed with the ultimate guide, found it really helpful indeed, well done whf team.[/quote]

Yes, informative read other than that.

A

Anonymous

I can't seem to find a copy of the chuffing thing anywhere! My local WHS doesn't seem to have it. Is it usually next to the regular WHF on the shelf?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
It should be, though every shop's stocking policy does vary. Also in most Asda stores and many independent newsagents.

[/quote]

I went to 3 supermarkets yesterday with no luck! (my wife was shocked at my strange Behavior but seem to be very happy with all her shopping!)

A

Anonymous

I noticed that they used some forummers quotes in the opening couple of pages to describe what good hifi does to them!!

John Duncan

[quote user="thfcwestlower"]
I noticed that they used some forummers quotes in the opening couple of pages to describe what good hifi does to them!!
[/quote]

I'm still waiting for my fee
emotion-5.gif

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Or .....maybe more time should have been spent on editing (eg ensuring the picture of speakers matches the blurb underneath tsk tsk) instead of finding pictures of that bint Joss Stone.......

John Duncan

[quote user="Drummerdave"]Or .....maybe more time should have been spent on editing (eg ensuring the picture of speakers matches the blurb underneath tsk tsk) instead of finding pictures of that bint Joss Stone.......[/quote]

Hey, *I'd* buy her a Flake.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Drummerdave"]Or .....maybe more time should have been spent on editing (eg ensuring the picture of speakers matches the blurb underneath tsk tsk) instead of finding pictures of that bint Joss Stone.......[/quote]

Hey, *I'd* buy her a Flake.[/quote]

Not a hob ***?

A

Anonymous

Yeah! got my copy today and almost immediately saw johnny D and fatboy contributions! good on you!! power to the people? power to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good to see WHF involving the fans hooooray!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Drummerdave"]Or .....maybe more time should have been spent on editing (eg ensuring the picture of speakers matches the blurb underneath tsk tsk) instead of finding pictures of that bint Joss Stone.......[/quote]
Hi. Could you elaborate, please?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"]I realise I asked this question elsewhere (in the about the mag section) but as it's not been answered (that's not a gripe either by the way Clare, Andrew, Andy & Co!) and fits with the subject here, I'll ask again; no Linn Majik LP12?

I'm not a Linn afficianado - they're way out my league - but this was a big upgrade for the venerable deck that was at least on a par with the P3 upgrade comparitively speaking. I accept, as above, that you can't do them all, but what a miss!
[/quote]
Ref. the missing LP12. I'm a former Linn owner (an Axis, with Akito arm) so there's no agenda here. It's a more simple issue: we haven't received any Linn products for review some time, despite requests. The company prefers not to submit its equipment to us.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
Got a copy today and had a flick through. Perhaps I'm missing something but can't see either the cyrus 8 player nor Rega's R3 or 5.ÿUnderstand you can't list every product butÿimoÿthese are serious omissions especially when oddball entries such as pioneers oak whisky barrel speakers made the grade. Next year perhaps?
[/quote]
Much the same thing applies here as with other instances of 'missing' equipment. Either the manufacturer has chosen not to submit the products to us for review, or the equipment itself is about to be replaced.
In the case of the Cyrus CD player, it was the latter: new slot-loading players are on the way (have been for some time, in truth) and the existing model won't be around for much longer. As with the Arcam instance mentioned elsewhere, that was information given to us by the manufacturer itself, so naturally we had to act on it.
As to the Rega kit: our relationship with the company has improved substantially in recent times, and we're currently working our way through the range (see the Brio 3 review in April, for example). However, the company prefers to move at its own pace when submitting review samples, despite its Awards success in 2007, so we've yet to see its latest speakers. We'll keep asking, and no doubt we'll get there in the end.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andy Kerr"][quote user="Drummerdave"]Or .....maybe more time should have been spent on editing (eg ensuring the picture of speakers matches the blurb underneath tsk tsk) instead of finding pictures of that bint Joss Stone.......[/quote]
Hi. Could you elaborate, please?[/quote]

No probs - page 19 - picture of Wharfedale Diamonds , text about Epos

T

the record spot

[quote user="Andy Kerr"][quote user="the record spot"]I realise I asked this question elsewhere (in the about the mag section) but as it's not been answered (that's not a gripe either by the way Clare, Andrew, Andy & Co!) and fits with the subject here, I'll ask again; no Linn Majik LP12?

[/quote]
Ref. the missing LP12. I'm a former Linn owner (an Axis, with Akito arm) so there's no agenda here. It's a more simple issue: we haven't received any Linn products for review some time, despite requests. The company prefers not to submit its equipment to us.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Andy, I thought this might be something to do with it, though am very intrigued to know why they won't send any review samples now!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
...Understand you can't list every product but imo these are serious omissions especially when oddball entries such as pioneers oak whisky barrel speakers made the grade. Next year perhaps?
[/quote]

Hmm...they do seem to be good ones afterall.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/pioneer-pure-malt-speakers
http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/pioneer-s-a4spt-pm/4505-7869_7-31995335.html?subj==rss&tag=rss.whatsnew
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Speakers/Pure+Malt+Speakers/ci.S-A4SPT-PM.Kuro?tab=A

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts