TX-SR605 listening modes?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just reading the manual on selecting listening modes and it says that the dolby digital and dts modes can only be selected if your dvd player is connected via a coaxial or optical cable. Why is this I thought that I could select these modes with my HDMI connection. im using a PS3 as my dvd source. My TX-SR605 dispalys DVD multi channel as the mode available is this the same as it is not mentioned in the manual

A

Anonymous

You will only get on Onkyo, DD or DTS, if you use a coaxial/optical cable. If you use the HDMI cable, you will only get PCM sound. (2 / Multichannel)

I found that very strange also, but i tested with my DVD Player, and with my MediaCenter, and nothing. Through HDMI only get PCM to my Onkyo 705. Just puted in both a coaxial cable, and voil , DD and DTS when available.

Bu if we use a Br/HDVD supporting HDMI 1.3 connected to the Onkyo, we can get de D True HD/DTS HD...... but why not on a single HDMI cable de DD and the DTS? Or in the case of a BR/HDVD with HDMI 1.3 we get the HD sound formats and also de DD and DTS?

A

Anonymous

Is the (2 / Multichannel) the same as DD or DTS ?, If it is I will not waste time buying an optical cable.

A

Anonymous

No, they are not the same. The PCM 2 Channel is common called "stereo", the Multichannel can have 5.1/7.1 channels uncompressed.

Never tested the PCM Multichannel, but you will only find this type of sound format on BR/HDVD. And if you have that, your Onkyo will be capable of processing de Dolby True HD / DTS HD, through HDMI (v.1.3) , which is far more better than the "oldie" DD/DTS, and besides that, for now, it is not very common to find the PCM 5.1/7.1 on BR/HDVD.

So, for general DVD, or HD broadcasts, you will always need the coxial/optical cable, to enjoy DD/DTS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts