Two HDMI Outputs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thinking of upgrading to an Onkyo SR875, assuming it will be a big improvement on my Yamaha 2600 (which is used as a pre-amp only, Primare power amps driving all speakers). I currently have both a projector and a Sony 40" TV so I am using a Distribution Amp to send the signal to both TV and Projector - saves having to swap HDMI leads about. Both pic seem fine to me, haven't noticed any deterioration as opposed to direct connection.

My quesion is whether to buy the Onkyo 875 and continue to use the Distribution Amp or would I be better off getting the next model up (NR905) which has two HDMI out connections which would enable me to dispense with the Distribution Amp. Presumably there must be some advantages to NOT using a Distribution Amp. Has anyone any experience in this area. Would be prepared to fork out the extra cash if there is going to be a significant improvement. Don't particularly need the network features etc as I am using a Sonos syster as well.

Finally will the Onkyo provide better sound and or pictures on my existing DVD (nearly 300) via my Sony 1080p TV or my InFocus IN76 (1080i) projector.

A

Anonymous

i can only help with the latter of your questions i'm afraid, based on my 875. Will it sound better? Yep. Upscale a better picture with dvd (and any other input sourcd such as sky or even vhs!!)? It most certainly does.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, in theory, taking out a component and extra possible distortion to the signal can only be a good thing. Whether you'll notice any difference though is hard to say... do you have any friendly local dealers who might loan you the 905 so you can try?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mark, now just need the benefit of someone's experience re the first part of my question and I can decide which Onkyo to go for

A

Anonymous

I live in Ireland and there are not too many dealers here who stock Onkyo, nearest I've found is Richer Sounds in Belfast, though still looking. So its unlikely that I'll be able to borrow a unit to try out. As I said I haven't noticed any deterioration on my current set up using the distribution amp, just trying to pick other brains.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Mmm fair enough. It's a tricky one, as either Onkyo includes a very good upscaling chip so even though you may not notice any difference currently, if you do get the 875, you may find you then can which would be a shame!

What make distribution amp are you using? Hopefully they'll be someone with the same setup who can advise you.

A

Anonymous

Yes, it is tricky. I'm using a CYP CDHDMI-2 which I got from hificables.co.uk and the spec says it splits the signal without loss and is good up to 1080p. Would be great if someone had experience of this with an 875. Yea, don't want to buy the 875 and then find I'm disappointed

A

Anonymous

At the moment I have a DVD player and a Sky HD box connected to the onkyo, though I intend buying a blu ray player in the near future also

A

Anonymous

Correction.... Should, of course, have read "connected to the Yamaha".....

A

Anonymous

Splashed out and bought the Onkyo 875 yesterday at Richer Sounds in Belfast. They have a 14 day exchange policy so if there are problems I can change it for the more expensive model. Got it set up and the picture from DVD is much better on my Sony 1080p TV than it was before. The upscaling really does give a much sharper picture. Have viewed the picture with and without the distribution amp in place and there doesn't appear to be any difference, so looks like the 875 is the business. My Infocus IN76 projector developed a fault (wasn't recieving the input from the DVD player) so is being reparied at the moment, hopefully I will get it back before the 14 day exchange period is up!! Anyhow, judging by the quality of the pic via the 875 on the TV, I don't expect any problems.

The sound is also more dynamic and the steering etc between the speakrs is significantly improved, all in all seems a great receiver. Also tried it with multichannel audio (DVD Audio and SACD, only have a few discs, and its also very good).

What is the best setting to use for watching DVDs and for Watching Sky HD. Tried "Direct" but that doesn't produce any sound from the centre channel when watching DVDs. Put it on THX Movie and it works find for DVDs, sound to all channels. Would appreciatd advise on the best setting to use based on your experience. Still trying to get used to all the settings!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the follow up post - that's useful advice as I know at some point I'm going to upgrade and wasn't sure whether to pay the extra £400 for the two HDMI outputs on the 905 and it doesn't look like it!

On your DVD player sound problems, sounds like your DVD isn't sending the sound in the right format. Make sure it's set to output sound in Bitstream and, as long as the amp is set to Auto, this should make sure it sends the proper Dolby Digital / DTS format to the amp.

EDIT - before I get ripped apart for the above post, I know the Onkyo 905 offers a lot more than the 875, it's just that I was only really interested in the 2 HDMI outs on that model. Any one else should check out both models and see which they prefer. Phew!

A

Anonymous

do as above and sound will be fine. you are using an optical connection from your sky box? won't get 5.1 otherwise. also, forget thx post processing. you need thx speakers for this to work correctly plus at least 7.1

A

Anonymous

Set the output on my Denon DVD player to Mulit channlel LPCM (didn't have a bitstream option, presumably not too disimilar) and the sound is now first class and is playing through all the speakers. Yes, I have an optical connection between the Sky HD Box and the Onkyo amp. Thanks for all your help guys. When I get my projector back I'll do another post to update the situation, but the projector is 1080i and I'm not in a position to get an 1080p projector yet, wating for the prices to drop, still should be interesting to see how well the Onkyo processes and upscales the signals from DVD and Sky etc. to the big screen.

Still haven't got a Blu-Ray player - waiting for the specs etc to settle down. Have thought about a Playstation 3 (my son thinks it would be a great idea!!) but a little concerned that it still can't output the various HD Audio sound formats. There's been talk about a firmware upgrade to enable this facility for some time - is it just talk or is it imminent? My understanding is that it can output uncompressed PCM (presumably via the HDMI lead) - would this be a significant improvement on what I've got now from DVD? Though presumably I would only be able to experience this on blu-ray discs of which I have none at the moment!! Feedback from those of you with Playstation 3 experience appreciated.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
There's a lot of talk that the PS3 will never output all the HD signals as bitstream. My thought is that with the Firmware update to BD 2 spec, you'd have thought that would have played a big part in it if it was going to happen.

However, uncompressed PCM into my Onkyo 905 is awesome and much superior to the vanilla sound formats. The only Blu-ray player that I recommend to friends at the moment is the PS3 although I do like the look of the new top-end Denon that's on the way.

A

Anonymous

Got my projector back, apparently a factory reset sorted it out!!! So if your projector is not receiving a signal try a factory reset. The report confirmed that fault and the solution, they also upgraded the firmware etc.

Tried the projector through the distribution amp and there was no pic on the screen, though there was one on the TV. Tried connecting the Onkyo directly to the Projector and everything worked, switched back to distribution amp again, everything ok. Turned the DVD player off and on again - once again no pic on the screen via the distribution amp. Connected DVD directly to the projector from the Onkyo - everything ok.

So there appears to be some sort of conflict between the distribution amp and the Onkyo, guessing it could possibly be caused by the TV being full HD (1080p) and the projector just HD. So I've been in touch with Richer Sounds and have asked to return the Onkyo 875 and upgrade to the 905. They are ordering a 905 for me and have agreed that I can keep the 875 until it comes into stock. I've disconnected the distribution amp and will just have to switch cables until I get the 905. Don't really mind having to upgrade, the Onkyos are such good and future proof amps that I should get a good few years out of it. Still really impressed wiht the sound. Will lookd at a movie on the big screen later.

A

Anonymous

Couldn't wait!! Bought a Panasonic DMP BD30 today at my local dealer here in Ireland, he had about 7 in stock, complete with the two free blu ray discs. The picture is unbelievably sharp on my Sony 1080p 40" tv. Its also really, really good on the big screen via my InFocus IN76 (1080i). Presumably it would be absolutely fab via a 1080p projector - have to start saving!!

As I said the picture quality is fab and the sound also is much more dynamic and involving. However there appears to be a problem. I have set the BD30 to output the sound to my Onkyo 875 in bitstream format. When I select "direct" on the Onkyo there is no sound from the centre speaker (I'm assuming that, as it says in the manual, "direct" sends the sound in its highest fidelity format etc.). If I select any of the varous surround sound options there is sound from the centre speaker. However the various HD options (true HD, PCM etc) do not come up as options when I scroll through the options available on the Onlyo. Can't find a solution in either of the manuals.

Am I doing something wrong? Advice appreciated.

A

Anonymous

sounds like your enjoying all the new gear mate and even the probs that come with it fair play to ya a true audiophile .
so tell me how is the infocus gear is it as good as they say ?

A

Anonymous

I'm very pleased with the projector. Generally it tends to output the image at 720p as opposed to 1080i and with normal DVDs and HD Sky the picture is really good, nice sharp images and very good colour, can't fault it really. I've got it mounted on the ceiling so its convenient to use as its permanently set up. The BluRay picture is much sharpter on the screen via the Infocus that a normal DVD, but not quite as good as on the TV and I'm assuming that this has something to do with the fact that the projector is 1080i and not 1080p. Having said that it still a much better viewing experience than normal DVDs. Hoping someone will come back on the sound problem.

A

Anonymous

Have sorted out the problem with the sound not being played through the centre speaker. Read the manuals carefully and I had set the sound to output via the HDMI setting. Turned this off and all works fine. Shows how important it is to get everything just right.

Have got four BluRay discs - Ratatouille, Cars, Beowolf and Tears of the Sun. The pics on all four are far superior to the normal DVD both on the TV and on the screen - much sharper and much more detailed, though they are better on the TV because its 1080p, still the projected image is absolutely fab.

The sound is also streets ahead of normal Dolby Digital or DTS. Only Cars has True HD and this shows up on the display on the Onkyo as True HD. Obviously there are still some communication/display problems betweent the player and the receiver, no doubt this will be sorted in time. To illustrate - an ordinary DTS DVD shows up on the Onkyo display as DTS.

All in all Blu Ray is very impressive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts