Two amps into one set of speakers

davlee

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of adding an A/V receiver to my Hi Fi system. In addition to Hi Fi use, I wish to use the existing speakers as the fronts in the home theatre set up. Can I simply add another set of cables to the speakers from the receiver? Is there a safer way of doing it via some sort of switch box without compromising the Hi Fi sound quality?

Thanks,
Dave

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davlee said:
I am thinking of adding an A/V receiver to my Hi Fi system. In addition to Hi Fi use, I wish to use the existing speakers as the fronts in the home theatre set up. Can I simply add another set of cables to the speakers from the receiver? Is there a safer way of doing it via some sort of switch box without compromising the Hi Fi sound quality? Thanks, Dave

If you just add another set of cables, the outputs of both amps will be connected together (albeit at the speaker). Amps are not designed to have their outputs driven into. Depending on the design of amp, you might just get away with it if the unused amp is switched off, but I really wouldn't recommend it. With both amps on, they will 'fight' to control the speaker voltage with possibly expensive results.

You can use an A/B switchbox in reverse, connect the speakers to the common and the amps to A and B. If you do, make sure it is a switchbox that is either A or B - a number on the market have the choice of A, B or A&B - which you do not want.

Inevitably another set of contacts in the speaker chain will degrade the sound. How much will depend on the contact resistance in the switch. A good quality switch with low resistance contacts and good internal wiring and connectors should be undetectable. Others may be able to recommend a good make, all the ones I have used have been cheap tat and best avoided.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
It's not what you are asking exactly (and the beresford jobbie above is the answer to that question), but FYI what many people do in the situation is buy a stereo amp with a feature called 'home theatre bypass' or similar on one of the inputs. If the av amp has preouts, you can then connect the front left and right pre outs from the av amp to the bypass inputs on the stereo amp.

the end result being that the av amp controls volume, but the stereo amp does the driving. Therefore only one set of speaker cables required.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I use the front pre-outs on my Yamaha RX-V 667 to go into my Rega Brio R with great results!

Using the Yamaha AV amp in 2-channel Pure Direct mode for hifi duties sounds absolutely shocking!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts