Tv to Hi-fi

redbullmaster

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to have to get rid of my surround sound system, my plan at the moment is to keep my stereo set up and use that for the TV and music listening. My stereo system at the moment consists of Kef R100 speakers a marantz 6003 cd player and Roksan Kandy k2 amp. What i would like to know is the best way to connect up the sky hd, blue-ray and hd-dvd player, using the audio out’s directly into the Kandy. Or is it to buy a DAC and then connect that to the digital audio out on my tv “Panasonic VT50” and then connect that into the Kandy.Thanks

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
In a large part this will come down to how good the DAC in your TV/BDP/DVD is, and whether any extra expenditure would justify the improvement.

Why not connect your R100’s up to your AV amp, then firstly connect your TV via optical with SPDIF set to “PCM” and try it in 2-channel mode. Then try it connected via analogue and see how it compares against the optical which will have used the DAC in your AV amp and repeat this with your BDP (also set to PCM obviously), for example.

Of course this will give you a different sound signature from running it through your Kandy, but it should give you a pointer as to how good or otherwise the DAC in your TV etc is and whether it might be worth adding an external one.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have my TV connected (via optical digital/Toslink) to my hi-fi. My Humax and Blu-ray player are connected to the TV with HDMI.

It sounds a lot better than using the analogue (RCA) connections and presents no lip-sync problems.

In my case the hi-fi has a DAC built-in, whereas you will need to buy one. Anything decent with at least one digital optical input will do.

iMark

chebby said:
I have my TV connected (via optical digital/Toslink) to my hi-fi. My Humax and Blu-ray player are connected to the TV with HDMI.

It sounds a lot better than using the analogue (RCA) connections and presents no lip-sync problems.

In my case the hi-fi has a DAC built-in, whereas you will need to buy one. Anything decent with at least one digital optical input will do.

We have a very similar setup. Humax and BD connected by HDMI to the TV. TV connected by optical cable to the DAC, DAC with RCA connectors to the stereo receiver. It sounds very good and it reduces a lot of cable clutter. One thing to consider is listening to digital radio through the Humax box. With this connection the TV needs to be on. Not a problem at the moment because we mainly listen to FM anyway.

Our Cambridge Audio DAC has two optical inputs. The other one is used for the Airport Express.

T

the record spot

TV connected via optical to the Sony amp's DAC. A variety of DVD/Blu-ray players connected up to the TV via HDMI as is the ATV3. All works a treat.

redbullmaster

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guy's,Seems like a DAC is the way forward, unless anyone can suggest a new amplifier, as i would like to keep the boxes to a minimum. I'm having trouble finding one with a DAC input, Budget would be about £600-£700.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts