tv resolution and aspect ratio

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I have a function on my tv called 'just scan' which allows 1:1 mapping when sending a 1080p signal to the tv. It should utilise every pixel on my screen. But when playing a movie its the aspect ratio which comes into play and horizontal lines are present therefore not using every pixel the screen offers.

What is the best setting to use when watching a dvd - does it depend on what aspect ratio the dvd is? Is the 'just scan' mode only suitable for hd/br discs?

I am using a Denon 1930 dvd upscaler and my tv is the Samsung LE40M98BDX. You may already know but this setup does not accept the 1080 signal as the tv judders so my Denon is set to 720p

What I really want is the best picture available for my combi!

Hope you can help

A

Anonymous

It's difficult to tell from your post, but one explanation could be a simple ratio issue. If the image from the dvd is 2.35:1 (or similar scope.panavision ratio) or even true 1.185:1 then you will see black at the top and bottom because that's the original ratio.

16:9 is a medial compromise betwen the US, UK and European cinema widescreen ratios (1.185, 1.75 and 1.166 :1) none of those are true 16:9 and will deliver a small amount of black if they are not mastered for 16:9, which most are, On the other hand, 2.35 or 2.40 :1 are true anamorphic cinema ratios designed to be unattractive on TV and therefore you'll get large black lines at the top.

Most of the WHAT... mags offer a visual representation of what I'm talking about or you could check out

http://www.divxland.org/aspect_ratios.php (a very good explanation)

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5140690-3.html (a dodgy silution!)

Hope this helps

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
That explains alot with regard to aspect ratio, thank you very much for your time.

Although my denon dvd player will send a 1080 signal my tv is incapable of accepting the image properly (although reviews say it does support 1080, apparently!!!!!) therefore I propose to send a 720p signal to the tv. Shall I still leave the 'just scan' mode on? I would want to watch the movie according to the aspect ratio of the dvd itself and this is the setting I need to use. Is this ok as the reviews say that the 'just scan' is designed for when you send a 1080 signal to the tv (for 1:1 mapping)

Last question on this subject, with the different aspect ratios on dvds is there a way of knowing what the resolution is for each ratio as you are losing pixels due to the black bars. Say for instance I will watch a 2.35:1 dvd on my 1920:1080 tv, what resolution of the screen am I actually watching?

Regards, Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts