TV / AV rack with space for a large centre speaker

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi all [:)]

This isn't for an imminent purchase, but I'm considering at some stage this year setting up an AV set up in addition to my stereo setup. I'm planning to upgrade my ATC SCM11s to ATC SCM40s for stereo, and use the 11s, an ATC C3C centre and a sub in (to begin with) a 3.1 HT setup.

The C3C is 22cm in height. I've been having a bit of a search online and can find very few if any TV / AV racks with sufficient top shelf space for a centre of this size. I'm not really interested in wall mounting my TV and I'm aware of the option of a mount attached to a rack and putting the centre on the top of the rack, so don't need suggestions in that area.

So my question is, is anyone aware of suitable racks with at least 2 total shelves, the top one big enough to fit the C3C centre? Budget would be anything up to about £1000.

The best I can see at the moment would be a modular design, such as the Atacama Equinox or HIFi Racks Podium XL. I already have a HiFi Racks rack for my hifi and think it's brilliant, and the big advantage is leg length and plinth size is 'bespoke'. I think a suitable rack would cost me in the region of £800. But it would be nice to have some other options to think about, including ones that are enclosed but with ventilation and cable management.

Thanks for your time and thanks in advance for any assistance [:)]

Ben.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Have a look at BDI - may just go over your budget but you will get a really well made and well thought out cabinet. Try to actually see one if you can rather than rely on photos.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nick,

thanks for that
emotion-1.gif
I'd seen some stuff from BDI before and have now had a further search. They don't seem to have a UK website and the US one and UK dealer websites make it a little difficult to work out which products might fit the C3C, especially as it looks like most would depend on adjustable shelving. I've emailed them, but in the mean time are there any specific ranges / products you would say are suitable?

Also, I see from your website you stock up to fairly high end AV furniture. Without encouraging any forum rule breaking (
emotion-5.gif
) are there any other manufacturers you would recommend?

Thanks again,
Ben

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nick and Faye & David, thanks for your suggestions
emotion-1.gif
BDI have just this minute emailed me back. For anyone else looking for a similar rack, the models they recommend are: Cirrus models 8157 & 8158, All Valera models, All Vexa models and Icon models 9428 & 9429. I will be having a closer look at these.

Hi Lee H. Not a ridiculous suggestion at all!
emotion-1.gif
It's definitely an option I'm aware of - as I said in the OP, it's not something I need for a while and haven't made decisions on components such as amp, so not in a position to take that any further. The 3 possibilities really are (i) 'off the shelf' product such as BDI (albeit an expensive one!), (ii) modular and therefore customisable product such as HiFi Racks or Atacama, (iii) complete bespoke rack as you suggest.

The obvious advantage of the latter is that it's bespoke. I don't know how much it would cost. On the other hand, it may make later changes to components difficult to incorporate and would have limited second hand appeal if I ever had to sell on. I like the simplicity of HiFi Racks and the fact you can just pay a few quid for some new legs if components get bigger in the future. And something like BDI has all the fancy cable management, air cooling systems, adjustable shelves and more second hand value.

Thanks to you all - and any more suggestions much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hi Ben, the C3C is on my list & the Atacama Equinox AV has never let me down at £400,00 or less if you can make a deal over the phone or shop around it is fantastic value & very sturdy, the C3c will fit nice i have measured, the downside is that i suppose the Equinox AV is a rather old design now & if i am honest there are much more attractive alternative's...but at a premium all be it, i read your plan's for the future & it sound's sublime, musicraft was selling a Yamaha RX-V3900 an absolutely crazy price...was so so tempted...just because at that price it really was a no brainer...then again my Pioneer hasn't put a foot out of place either, looking forward to your idea's becoming a reality for you, Benny.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Benny
emotion-1.gif

The equinox is something I'm considering, and I'd say your system really shows off how it can work
emotion-1.gif
I nearly went for it for my hifi before deciding on a wooden rack to complement our floors, the ATC cabinets, ikea Billy bookshelves and other furniture - and very happy with it. Your equinox looks especially good with the AV and hifi next to each other (IMO) - while my plan in a new house would be to have separate rooms and I don't know what the decor might be like, I'm still tempted by the idea of keeping hifi racks. Oak plinths and black legs I think looks lovely.

Rick's had some v good deals on Yamaha kit (Clare even started a thread on recent deals here
emotion-5.gif
) but the one I'm most disappointed to have missed out on was his deal for the Z7 and matching blu ray. Not in a rush, so I'm waiting to see what the 7 and 11 replacments are, hopefully in the spring. Also still thinking about Primare pre and multi-channel power - decent deals from Europe come up every now and then on eBay.

looking forward to your idea's becoming a reality for you, Benny.

Thanks Benny
emotion-1.gif
Quite excited by the prospect of a C3C (and I have some sub plans) but it's all a fair way off at the moment - no purchases at the moment and then finances have to recover once we move house - and then 40s first
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS