admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings all

I currently have a Rega P3 with an Elys cart played through an Arcam A85 to Dynaudio Contour 1.1 speakers. The problem (if one can call it that) is that after I upgraded my CD72T to CD192 (Lintone in Gateshead via ebay, very good deal), the Rega no longer sounds as good in comparison as it used to.

So, do I spend my pennies on upgrading the Rega - better cart, cable improvements etc, or do I go all out and opt for a Gyrodec or LP12 (or any other suggestions?)? I haven't listened to either yet, it's all a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but it will happen one day. Oh yes, it will happen...

Anyway, I look forward to your comments.

Best regards

Mark

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response - any suggestions on carts?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Chebby, forgive my ignorance - does all this mean my P3 is upgradable? Inclined to agree re bracket, sadly not very practical in my current house...

A

Anonymous

My amp will take both mm and mc, so I guess it boils down to whichever sounds best for the cash. From memory, mc designs would seem to be the best in terms of quality?

A

Anonymous

I saw the kits on Rega's website, but are they not for upgrading Planar 2/3 to P2/3? Mine is a P3.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
OK right. Well in that case I would suggest keeping your P3 intact (with Elys) and selling it and getting the P3-24/TT-PSU set-up. The P3-24 is only £400 without factory fitted cartridge (£500 with optional fitted Elys 2).

Even with an upgraded PSU it is still more cost effective than a Linn. (Cheapest Linn Sondek package is now £2000)

A

Anonymous

I'm with you, but let's say, just for fun, I've had a good year, hit all my targets and Santa wants to be very kind to me - what would you go for, money-no-object?

A

Anonymous

Ought to point out, my wife's just buggered off with someone else, so I need something to live for :)

A

Anonymous

Oh rubbish. Didn't think of that... I'm hoping she'll be content with the Denon micro we / I use in the kitchen. She shouldn't, after all, be playing with my toys...

A

Anonymous

Beautiful - I'll add it to the list. I'm pretty certain my Dad had a Thorens deck in the '70s (before he went deaf) - great to see them still going.

A

Anonymous

Chebby, thanks for your input - got to go and cook myself some dinner before I waste away. No doubt we'll catch up later.

T

the record spot

Depending on your preferences and you like a clean and analytical sound, leaning towards bright as opposed to warm, take a look at Audio Technica's AT440mla cart. Like night and day from the Elys, but more detailed and tracks brilliantly. Good bass on it too. For the money (circa £85), you are hard pushed to better it IF you like the kind of sound as decribed above.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts