Turntable Upgrade: Project Genie vs. Project Debut 3 vs. Riga RP1

alastairpearce

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've been upgrading my hifi over the last 6 months, and let me say I've found the advice on here very useful!

The last component I need to upgrade is my turntable.

My system thus far is:

Cambridge Audio Azur 550a

Celestion F30 Floorstanders

Cambridge Audio 540p Phono Stage (Moving Magnet only)

I have an old second hand Technics SLB-202 turntable, which I have upgraded with new headshell, cartridge, belt etc in the past, but I really think the last piece of the jigsaw would be a brand new turntable.

I like the look of the Project Debut 3, and the Riga RP1 obviously get's the best buy nod, but the Project Genie just looks so good.

What would people recommend? What would be the benefits of getting one of these turntables over keeping my old Technics?

I know the Riga gets the best buy vote, and I do like the minimalist looks, but the Genie does look amazing too. But the big question has to be what the sound difference is.

I'm a relative hifi novice, and not looking to spend more than £300 on a turntable, so I would welcome anyones advice.

The Pro-jects have been great buys in your price range for many years. The Debut is more traditional looking - which is why you like the Genie! - but it has a better cartridge. You could afford a Debut S/E3 with the OM10 cartridge and larger platter. Or for 35GBP over budget, the Esprit version is better still. You can get that in red or white, if the black is too boring for you! The brand is the biggest TT maker in Europe, if not the world.

The Rega is similar in overall design to the Debut, and I'm afraid I cannot say I have compared them. I suspect a Rega will be worth more in 10 years time, if that matters. Regas stay the same for longer, by which I mean they are updated less obviously, and have a certain cachet - poor man's Naim/Linn, if you like. Made in England. Comes with OM5e cartridge, costs 229GBP, and an upgrade kit is available for 85GBP. If you were more experienced, a secondhand Rega Planar 3 would be a great buy, at 200-250GBP, plus cartridge.

Good luck!

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
If you're interested in hte Pro-jects, I read somewhere they've just released a kit which fixes the motor problems of their cheaper decks. Cost is about £25 - £30, I think. They're excellent decks BTW but mine has always been noisy, so this is good news.

alastairpearce

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

I decided to go for the Genie 3 in the end, piano black finish with the Ortofon 2M Red pre-fitted.

The Rega RP1 or the Project Debut 3 just couldn't match the Genie for looks.

Not the best basis on which to buy a turntable I know, but it does look fantastic, and with the upgraded cartridge I'm happry to say has the sound to match. :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts