Turntable to match my new Rotel RA06 Amp.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello every one at the Forum !

I bougth a new amp Rotel RA06 few weeks ago and it sound great. Bad news is that now I need to upgrade the rest of my equipment to get it up to standard (with the subsequent damage in my pocket). Anyway, I need to do it, the decision is made . . .

The next thing to get replaced is the record player. I currently have an old Technics SLB2 that I bought second hand years ago. It doe snot sound great and the speed does not even work 100% accurate all the time. Until few weeks ago I was inclined to buy another Technics, but as I have read reviews and visited some shops the general opinion seems to be that Technics are very robust, well built turntables, ideal for heavy duty DJing. I am not a DJ. I just want it to listen to the more than 200 records that I have at home.I am wondering if I should abandom the idea of buying a Technics and get something else. I have heard good things about a brand called Riga.

Any recommendation on the subject?

Thanks in advance. I have to say that I am very please with this forum. I got my new Rotel amp because of a recommendation from people here and the thing works just fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Ah, back to the ol' black plastic!

First of all, we need some kind of budget to work around...I could recommend some turntables at £100 (you might want to spend more) or £1000 (you might want to spend less). If I was looking at a turntable to match the RA-06, I would be looking at either the Rega P3-24 (yes, it's Rega not Riga!), or the Project Xpression MK3, both of which are very good turntables. You might want to get an external phono as well, the ones in

Have a fun time!

A

Anonymous

I should point out just for the record. So to speak. That IMHO the SL1200 can be a fantastic audiophile machine. Especially if one goes to KAB electronics and buys one or two of their upgrades. It's got ultra low wow, isolation is fantastic thanks to the drive technology, brilliant little machine. I nearly bought one over my pro-ject.

A

Anonymous

And it has that beautiful Technics look! : ) The Mk2 version is my favourite.

T

the record spot

Depending on your budget, here's a few suggestions:-

Project Genie (£125)
Rega P2 (£200?) - only a little more pricey than the P1, but the far better deck.
Rega P3-24 (£400)

Out of the box, the Technics probably isn't quite as good as the Rega. However, if you can upgrade the cartridge and - apparently - get a new mat to replace the supplied one, things take on a whole new life. If you want a bit of a project, you can get the tonearm removed and replaced with (e.g.) the Rega RB300 and then you have a turntable which is up there with some of the best.

Higher pricepoints get you the Clearaudio, Audio Note, etc, entry level decks, but you might be looking at changing the rest of the gear by then!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts