Turntable stability

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Howdy folks

After beginning to learn about hifi I treated myself to some new gear. I got the project essential 2 turntable and have set it up in the corner of my living room. I am worried that I am not getting the best out of it though because the house I am renting at the moment does not have a very study wooden floor and when I go near my hifi I can see the little counter weight on the turntable moving about. This cannot be the way it has been designed to work, can it?

the turntable is on the top shelf of a five tiered hifi stand. When I set the TT up I did so in the middle of the room but I think I will balance the weight again where it sits as the floor is so uneven too.

Anyway I once read about people using the granite chopping boards from ikea under floor standers to improve their performance so I wondered if there were any tricks or tips that might help me or perhaps I am worrying needlessly.

thanks in advance.

As you are renting the property I would guess a wall-shelf is a no-no, however, it is indeed the best way to set up your turntable.

Might I suggest you try some granite slabs under your hifi stand and possibly the same supported by sorbothane 'feet' under the turntable itself.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I had the same situation as you, at the other half's house, and unfortunately, as long as the TT is connected to the floor, theres nothing you can do. I tried everything. Basically, for me, it meant sitting still (and creeping up to the TT when it was time to change side) and banning the 5 year old from the room when listening to records! A proper faff that stopped me listening to the TT til I moved back to my gaff with it's more solid floors.

Sorry I couldn't give better news!

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Why didn't I think of a wall shelf. I've already mounted the tv so a wee shelf will do no harm and it's right against the outside wall so it's nice and easy. I've a DAC to buy yet so it would free up some space too.

Any concrete slabs in particular? Truth be told I never get up to high volumes if that makes a difference to such matters? Think that's why I never bought the chopping boards for under the floor standers.

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Why didn't I think of a wall shelf. I've already mounted the tv so a wee shelf will do no harm and it's right against the outside wall so it's nice and easy. I've a DAC to buy yet so it would free up some space too.

Any concrete slabs in particular? Truth be told I never get up to high volumes if that makes a difference to such matters? Think that's why I never bought the chopping boards for under the floor standers.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd avoid the high mass approach with a Project debut or Rega. I've tried several options like this and wasn't really satisfied. The solution which worked for me is the SRM Tech acoustic support - basically and acrylic slab with sorbothane feet and a nice built-in spirit level. I've got one for my RP6 and it works very well. With a Rega you need to position the sorbothan to be under the Rega feet, so I guess the same is true of the Project (though it may have 4 feet).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=wallmountit2&lang=en

Fine levelling can be achieved with the adjustable spikes under the wooden platform...

wallmountit2.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts