Turntable sounds dreadful all of a sudden

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Sound muffled and lots of crackling - suspect static. Checked needle and no build up of dust on it. I regularly use a carbon-fibre brush on the records to help eliminate static.... any ideas on cause and solution? Sounded so good before but unlistenable as it is.

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am doubting static as a culprit.

Check the connector tabs on the pins at the rear of the cartridge.

Are any loose? Are they connected correctly? Any minute bits of rogue Christmas tinsel shorting across them?

Check your earth lead and all other connections are sound.

Is there any evidence the stylus/cantilever has been whacked? Put a mirror underneath and ensure it is straight.

If possible borrow a different amp (or phonostage) to ensure it is not the phono stage to blame.

If you use a seperate phono-stage then plug it into a different set of amplifier inputs and see if the problem moves with it or not.

Re-balance your arm and reset tracking force and anti-skate. Check the cartridge nuts/bots to see if they have come loose and the alignment has shifted.

Usual process of elimination stuff. Check every possible variable.

margetti:

Sound muffled and lots of crackling - suspect static. Checked needle and no build up of dust on it. I regularly use a carbon-fibre brush on the records to help eliminate static.... any ideas on cause and solution? Sounded so good before but unlistenable as it is.

Thanks

Chebby just beat me to it - I was going to say pretty much the same. Check all the logical stuff before you start worrying about expense etc.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys, much appreciated. I did change the cartridge about a month ago (has been fine until now) but it is very possible I err'd too much on the side of caution with the "don't over-tighten cartridge nuts/bolts" advice given in the instructions.

Have been doing a lot of tweaking and fiddling lately so could be any of the above, but sounded so much like a build up of fluff on the needle I just thought... well, not sure what I thought!

Gosh, this turntable lark is such a learning process. But so interesting and fun in the process!ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts