Turntable setup

Ken123

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi im kinda new to all this. Currently i own a pro-ject debut carbon esprit connect to a cheap pre-amp then to some bose companions but i want to upgrade. I was looking at the Pro-ject stereo box s and connect it to a pair of Dali zensor 3. I just wanted some advice. I thought of maybe going to the Yamaha As-500 but the size of the stereo box s is so much smaller so im really considering that option. Would it make a huge difference to go with the yamaha?

Welcome to the forum.

The Project stereo box is cheap for a reason and has limited conectivety and only 40 watts per channel.

This will be fine if you only plan to run the turntable and the Dali's are reasonably efficient speakers.

Stretching your budget will reap big rewards but as you say box size will increase.

As well as the Yamaha I'd suggest Marantz 6004 or 6005 as alternatives as there is little in the way of other units with reduced chassis size unless you are prepared to pay a lot more.

There is, however, the stereo box DS (this is available around £330) and should be an improvement on the 'S' (can't say I've ever heard one though).

Ken123

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I think I would like to stick to the Dali's as the speakers. I have looked at the stereo box DS but havnt read many good reviews. For now this is just for the turntable so i didnt want anything too big. Would the NAD D 3020 be a better option than the pro-ject?

Ken123 said:
Thank you for the reply. I think I would like to stick to the Dali's as the speakers. I have looked at the stereo box DS but havnt read many good reviews. For now this is just for the turntable so i didnt want anything too big. Would the NAD D 3020 be a better option than the pro-ject?

An interesting and quirky design but I'm afraid not.

Unless you want to get yet another box as the NAD has no inbuilt phono stage.

rainsoothe

Hi.

Golden rule is, if you can, to audition anything you have your eyes/ears/heart set on if possible. With that in mind, i would put these on my shortlist (given the pricerange you're suggesting): Yamaha AS-500, Marantz PM 6500 and Rotel RA 10.

Personally i'm a Rotel fan, the Marantz was too silky and the Yamaha a bit on the bright side for me, Rotel struck the perfect balance (between timing and smoothness) for my ears, but whatever peels your banana - that's what matters most: YOUR ears, YOUR preferences. Also, I've recently become a Naim fanboy, so, budget permiting, try also auditioning a Naim Nait 5si.

Mentioning room size, budget and music type might help others give you advice.

Goodluck!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The Rotel mentioned doesn't have a remote - so if thats important then leave it out.

I'd go for the Pioneer A30 - cheap, sounds good, has remote and has Phono so you can use the turntable. Downsides are that is not that small but similar to other amps mentioned in size.

Ken123

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I had a listen to the dali zensor 3 with the marantz pm 6005 and i liked it. I havnt heard the rotel or the yamaha yet. Im leaning towards the marantz or the rotel. Does anyone prefer the marantz over the rotel?

TRENDING THREADS