turntable mat upgrade for my technics sl1200mk2

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
been thinking about changing the mat after reading that the mat lets the sound down a bit (although sounds good to me) so just wondered if there was anything much better for not a lot of dosh

What exactly is 'not a lot of dosh'?

If it sounds good to you then don't bother with new mat buy more vinyl. :)

Most mats do not make much of a difference, in the majority of cases any changes heard are simply down to mats being of differing thicknesses make slight changes to the VTA which most people do not correct for.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
mmmm yeah maybe youre right al it does sound good, its just i was looking on a technics t/t website and it said the mat was one of the few downsides but i,m just being over critical...........now i,m off to buy some more vinyl

Don't believe everything (anything?) you read on forums unless you've proved it to yourself. The number of times I've heard of these wonderful new mats making huge improvements, only to find out the mat actually costs more than I paid for the turntable itself, is quite astonishing.

If you really must change it go for a simple cork compound type, as long as you are happy making any necessary changes to VTA (which could be quite tricky on a Technics), and don't spend more than the cost of a new double-album. :)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
nah, i think your right al, i did read a lot of stuff recently on technics t/ts and like i said the original mat doesnt sound half bad so think i,l leave it.........cheers mate

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Couldn't agree more, its a great deck as it is, just buy more records. Tip buy some Bill Hailey, production and innuendo, the real king of rock' n' roll

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts