Turntable Issue

migibo

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Hello All,

have recently bought a second hand Technics SL - 1210MK2.

When I place a vinyl on it, the needle does not start at the beginning but skips a couple of cms into it.

any advice on this?

thank you

migs

migibo

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
have tried that, but doesnt seem to work. not too sure though what to adjust though. There is the arm which I have set at 2, then there is the round knob by the arm and the round circular ring which is below the arm

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Have you balanced the arm and cartridge before setting tracking weight?

Turn off/unplug deck.

Turn the little anti-skate dial to zero.

Remove stlus guard/protector.

Move the counterweight back and forth until the stylus tip hovers a couple of mm above the mat.

Now only turn the calibrated disk (on the front of the counterweight) so it is showing 0 at the top. (It can turn seperately.)

Now grasp the calibrated disk AND the counterweight together, and turn both around to your desired tracking force.

Turn the antiskate dial to the matching number.

migibo

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
cheers for the reply.

I do have however couple of queries;

do i not adjust the disc holding the arm at all. (level with the mat?)

what is the optimum desired traking force.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You are probably talking about the arm height adjuster. Adjust this until the arm is parallel (parallel when playing a record). It affects VTA (vertical tracking angle) this is the angle of rake of the stylus from vertical.

sl-1210_04.jpg

The tracking force will depend upon what cartridge you are using. Look up your cartridge model/type on google and when you find it on the manufacturers site look at the specifications and it will suggest a range of tracking force (in grammes). Select a weight towards the upper end of the suggested range.

migibo

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Thank you so much for the pic and the response.

Have now adjusted the arm and the anti skate accordingly. even though in the website for the cartridge this is at 3,0 g whereas i can only adjusted it to 1 max

thank you again

best wishes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts