turntable comparison

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What would be the most musical and better value for money Gyrodec with orbe platter or one of the Azareo range. Also what cartridge would suit Origin Live illustrious tonearm? what do your readers think of the illustrious tonearm.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Have a look at Benz, Dynavector, Shelter (if you can find them) or if you really want something special, try the Expert Stylus modified Denon DL-103 which really achieves a £1000+ quality level for a mere £280 - it is frequently described as a Koetsu beater.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
...or alternatively a Denon DL-304 brand new is, I think, around £210 and is stunningly good and probably the best value cartridge on the market. It has a very LP friendly tracking weight of 1.2g, but a very low output of 0.2mV so a high gain phonostage would be essential.

John Duncan

The gyrodec is top notch, though can only speak for it with a fully-modded origin live RB250. And I'd give the platter upgrade a miss - for starters, no point in having a Gyro if it doesn't look like a Gyro........

Consider the SME Series V as well, at that price.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I agree with JohnDuncan about the Gyrodec but my experiences with the SME V (and IV) haven't been so great - it is a fantastic piece of engineering and tracks extremely well, but for me it just doesn't make music, the SME M2 and 300 series are far better in that regard.

John Duncan

Tear Drop:I agree with JohnDuncan about the Gyrodec but my experiences with the SME V (and IV) haven't been so great - it is a fantastic piece of engineering and tracks extremely well, but for me it just doesn't make music, the SME M2 and 300 series are far better in that regard.

I haven't heard the SME V, but I know it's well thought of and just think it would behove the OP to compare the two when spending that sort of money.

As for the platter, I'm afraid this is one point where aesthetics outweigh sonics for me - I don't care how it sounds, I just wouldn't have it - if I wanted more sonic improvement, I'd be looking elsewhere (power supply, cartridge, different table altogether, blah blah).

And Joel - no. Get an RPM5.2, the platter is exactly the same colour as your Arcams so would match perfectly........

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If I was going to get one it would be the Mitchell Gyrodec as featured in this month's mag. Yummmy! Unfortunately I'm not sure how it would sound straight after a kick in the nuts from 'er indoors.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Given I've been moaning about how we have to haul in the reins a bit recently so that we can have a nice Mark Warner/Sunsail holiday in November, and the fact that we are looking to buy yet another flat once stamp duty is temporarily abolished, buying a nice TT would be akin to throwing myself to the lions while covered in antelope blood.

John Duncan

I could 'lend' you 'mine'
emotion-5.gif

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Tear Drop:I agree with JohnDuncan about the Gyrodec but my experiences with the SME V (and IV) haven't been so great - it is a fantastic piece of engineering and tracks extremely well, but for me it just doesn't make music, the SME M2 and 300 series are far better in that regard.

I haven't heard the SME V, but I know it's well thought of and just think it would behove the OP to compare the two when spending that sort of money.

As for the platter, I'm afraid this is one point where aesthetics outweigh sonics for me - I don't care how it sounds, I just wouldn't have it - if I wanted more sonic improvement, I'd be looking elsewhere (power supply, cartridge, different table altogether, blah blah).

And Joel - no. Get an RPM5.2, the platter is exactly the same colour as your Arcams so would match perfectly........

Show off, I had to look that up. Not sure it's used in the right context though.
emotion-42.gif
emotion-1.gif

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Oh it is. Scottish education y'see
emotion-5.gif

behoove (Brit. behove)
verb [ trans. ] ( it behooves someone to do something) formal
it is a duty or responsibility for someone to do something; it is incumbent on : it behooves any coach to study his predecessors.

verb (it behoves someone to do) formal it is a duty, responsibility, or appropriate response for someone to do.

Close but you get the small cigar.

John Duncan

gpi:JohnDuncan:Oh it is. Scottish education y'see
emotion-5.gif

behoove(Brit. behove)
verb [ trans. ] ( it behooves someone to do something) formal
it is a duty or responsibility for someone to do something; it is incumbent on : it behooves any coach to study his predecessors.

verb (it behoves someone to do) formal it is a duty, responsibility, or appropriate response for someone to do.

Close but you get the small cigar.

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the definition I gave a few moments ago........
emotion-5.gif

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
...which is sourced from an ill-advised, fly by night .com wannabe. I, sir, refer you to the Oxford English dictionary. Bloomin' Scottish magpies.

It is not the OP's duty or responsibility to do as you suggested, It would certainly benefit him, yes.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Back on topic, I would also consider the Funk turntables, Pro-ject RPM10 and the Clearaudio Champion Level 1. Have you bought the tonearm already?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts