turntable advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am thinking about buying a turntable and have about 1000 pounds to invest in a compleat set up ie turntable, arm, cartridge and phono stage. This budget could be extended for the right set up and i am not really interested in 2nd hand equipment.

I have thought about project michell and nottingham analouge and want something which will look well and sound good.

Any ideas or advice would be gladly received

A

Anonymous

Dont be so quick to discount second hand equipment. A second hand LP12 is within your price range and has infinite upgrade potential. Linn are happy to service second hand equipment though its a good bet that any Linn owner will have treated his LP12 with loving attention. There won't be any issues about parts availability either. Its worth thinking about.

T

the record spot

Nottingham - excellent move - a name not too often heard in t/t chat and one that deserves to be heard more. See also the Funk Firm V and the Audio Note TT1. £1000 on a t/t - lucky chap!

A

Anonymous

There's also the Clearaudio Emotion, and, if I can throw in a wildcard, this .

T

the record spot

Cheeky! Interesting though!

There's also a modded SL1210 - you can pick one of those up for about £800 - new arm, rewired Rega usually, so think Origin or Michell and the like. Good cart on it, serious contender to anything in the £500-£1500 price range IMO.

John Duncan

There is no substitute:

michell_gyrose.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:There's also the Clearaudio Emotion, and, if I can throw in a wildcard, this .

Clearaudio Emotion including 'Satisfy' Tonearm & Classics MM cartridge is now £1275 and a lid costs another £170.

My 'wildcard' would be the Audio-Note TT-1 at £780 excluding tonearm. Put an RB250 on it for another £140.

(It already has a lid.)

A

Anonymous

John that is what i am looking for what arm and cartridge would you recommend to go with that without blowing my budget to much

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Start with a rega RB250 and modest cartridge. Stop at the SME Series V...
emotion-2.gif

Not to my taste, but what is it?

A

Anonymous

Hi John I took your advice and had a demo of the gyro se loved it so put a deposit on it cant wait till its here thanks

John Duncan

stormheader:Hi John I took your advice and had a demo of the gyro se loved it so put a deposit on it cant wait till its here thanks

Good call. It's a fantastic deck, even with the cheapest of arms and cartridges (and makes people go 'oooooo it's so beeeaaaauuuuuddddiiiifffuuullll' when it's on). And then you can start the upgrades - SME V (£2,100), Koetsu Red (£2,300), Diablo phono stage (£1,200), HR Power Supply (£400).....get the picture (yes we see)?

A

Anonymous

Glad you're sorted stormheader....

If you are into upgrade potential, shame, though, you dismissed the earlier advice and didn't compare with a LP12....and then hear an added Keel...then consider the potential £14k upgrade options...! It's been around 30 odd years, and probably will be for 30 odd more...

I have a friend who had his father's '70's LP12, previously in storage, restored and upgraded by a master in the art...It's currently sitting as the main source in his £100k+ Kondo amplified system....He now has a 2nd in a Naim 500 set-up.....

Amazing decks...great heritage....and don't look like a bleedin spaceship !

TRENDING THREADS