TURNING MY SYSTEM WIRELESS plus wireless speakers

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I am wanting to use my marantz wireless as at present my router isnt in a conveniant place to connect with ethernet cable, so can anyone advise me on the best ethernet bridge. Ive read reviews on marantzs own rx101 but not all the reviews were very good.

The second thing is am I able to have wireless speakers with the marantz, and if so which ones. Obviously I,m talking proper hifi speakers and ones under the 1k mark.

Thanks guys for any help.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you will be able to find many nice wireless speakers under GBP 1,000...

How about using some power line adpater regarding you Ethernet issue?

Here are a few one available in the UK: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/3490638/15-best-powerline-adapters-2015-uk/

Other option, sell your kit and get a pair of Devialet Phantoms. *biggrin*

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
ok lovely i will look into both......i,m reallly trying to streamline everything even to the point of looking into a the naim wireless speaker system........just sick of cables and clutter hence why i went for the marantz.....will look into the devialets too

strms

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
In the days before the BR100 (Bridge) one of your Sonos ZP80s and 100s had to be connected to a router with an ethernet cable. This wasnt practical for me as the router was in the hallway. The solution was a wireless bridge. I used to use a Linksys, an older one of the one on Amazon. Another option for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WET11-Wireless-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/B000066JQU

strms

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Or from Kef the X300 active and wireless

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/audio-video/wireless-speaker-sets/kef-x300-wireless-active-speakers-1141928.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=H7Media&gclid=COeGtae9_8QCFSP4wgodXCgAEw

Or Raumfeld Ms or slightly over budget the Ls

https://www.raumfeld.com/uk/online-shop.html?delivery_country=190&partner_id=sem.rf-uk.g.g.uk-generic-wireless-speaker.buy

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
ooooh kef x300, will look them up now st, will they connect to my marantz???......just noticed your turntable.........very nice machine
wink_smile.gif

strms

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
audioaddict said:
ooooh kef x300, will look them up now st, will they connect to my marantz???......just noticed your turntable.........very nice machine

I had a pair and recently sold one. It out performs the LP12 that I recently bought from ebay.

I was contemplating buying a cheap 1210 and getting Inspire to do their magic. http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/images/technics3.jpg

TrevC

Powerline adaptors put a lot of RFI crap into the mains so are best avoided. The worry of such things can make audiophools spend thousands in Russ Andrews' ridiculous shop, not to mention the obliteration of the AM radio bands.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A simple way to get remote speakers wirelessly is to use the JBL On Air Control 2. A small box connects to the Zone output on the MCR and connects wirelessly to 2 powered speakers. They have their own volume control on a remote, so the fixed output from the MCR is fine.

Getting a connection over distance from your router to your MCR is a computer network issue, have you thought about using a second router as a wi-fi extender, placing it close to the MCR and hardwiring?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
well what ive seen in curries dave is from t link, i think thats what they were called, anyway all it was, was a plug in device and then i just connect the ethernet cable into that then into my marantz.........then hey presto my system is wireless.........is that the sort of thing you meant >?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Firstly I assume your principal modem/router has wi-fi. In that case any wireless router will do the job providing it can be configured to expand an existing network.

This is a bit outside my field of expertise but it is a relatively simple network solution, the second router connects wirelessly to your main router and you plug the Marantz in to it as normal. However you might need some assistance setting that up, not that straightforward if you are non-techy. I know nothing about PCs so you need someone with the basics of network setup.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yes i hve a wireless network but its only really used for my laptop which is wireless............my problem is that the router had to be put upstairs as all our downstairs phone lines were tested and didnt work properly, so the easiest solution was the one i previously mentioned from t link which is just a plug in to a wall socket the plug my system into that and its wireless

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
That may well work, though there are downsides as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would not do it that way personally, I would, as described above, use a wireless router that could be used to 'expand' the existing network. I would also take advice on this from someone who knows about setting up a network.

Still, up to you, as always with such things there is often more than one answer.

daveh75

davedotco said:
Firstly I assume your principal modem/router has wi-fi. In that case any wireless router will do the job providing it can be configured to expand an existing network.

This is a bit outside my field of expertise but it is a relatively simple network solution, the second router connects wirelessly to your main router and you plug the Marantz in to it as normal. However you might need some assistance setting that up, not that straightforward if you are non-techy. I know nothing about PCs so you need someone with the basics of network setup.

I wouldn't use an wireless extender/repeater if a reliable network for streaming is the goal.

Adding an 'hop' to a WiFi network will halve the throughput and increase the latency on that link

The most reliable way would be to configure the secondary 'router' as an WiFi AP and connect it to the primary router with Ethernet.

If that's inconvenient then I'd connect them via Homeplugs, though as Trev mentions they have there own issues, but preferable to extender/repeater.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:

I wouldn't use an wireless extender/repeater if a reliable network for streaming is the goal.

Adding an 'hop' to a WiFi network will halve the throughput and increase the latency on that link

The most reliable way would be to configure the secondary 'router' as an WiFi AP and connect it to the primary router with Ethernet.

If that's inconvenient then I'd connect them via Homeplugs, though as Trev mentions they have there own issues, but preferable to extender/repeater.

Thanks, this is an area in which I have little expertese.

If you have the time, a slightly more in depth explanation of the networking issues (relative to hi-fi) would be very helpful.

I use an AEX to 'extend' my regular network purely for Airplay, but that is wired. An explanation of what happens in wireless situations would be great. Thanks in advance.....*mail1*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts