Turn your iPhone or iPod Touch into a system remote control

Interesting app...........wonder what the rest of the family will do if you go out with the iPhone....errr....remote control & they want to watch a programme....
emotion-18.gif

It's quite expensive for what it offers.

A

Anonymous

That looks excellent but is too expensive to justify, especially as you need the iPhone too. If for some reason you change to a different phone you're stuffed!

I like the look of the £35 dongle to plug into the device making it an infrared controller. I can see this selling very well.

Nice find...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I also noticed it when it was announced. What I am interested in is how customiseable the screens are. How would it compare to e.g. Philips Pronto or similar, which I beleive are the most common of the fully-programmable and customiseable remotes. I think there is no reason why ipod/ipad based ones shoudl be any more limited.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:...still doesn't make it a cheap package.

Well no, a very long runner-bean cane with which you could prod buttons would be much cheaper...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If it has the same or nearly the same functinality and programmability as Philips Pronto family (i.e. can do macros, jumps, unlimited devices and high flexibility etc) then it is fantastic value as the Pronto-likes are very expensive.

Can I lable the button anything I want, i.e. free text entry + icons library? Can I have buttons of varying size? Can I have any button layout I want or am I limited to the standard ipod squares+grid? Can a button be a macro or a jump to another screen or only a remote code? can I put several remote codes into one button with delay in between + jump to another screen? Can I design and programme the layout on a computer and then load into ipod or do I have to fiddle on the ipod screen?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

igglebert:...still doesn't make it a cheap package.

Well no, a very long runner-bean cane with which you could prod buttons would be much cheaper...

emotion-21.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:Can I lable the button anything I want, i.e. free text entry + icons library? Can I have buttons of varying size? Can I have any button layout I want or am I limited to the standard ipod squares+grid? Can a button be a macro or a jump to another screen or only a remote code? can I put several remote codes into one button with delay in between + jump to another screen? Can I design and programme the layout on a computer and then load into ipod or do I have to fiddle on the ipod screen?

Clickety-think...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Looks quite flexible. Maybe not as flexible as a pronto (e.g. I did not see a 'delay' function. or have I just overlooked it? button size only stadard, no computer-based set-up etc) but probably still flexible enough for any system.

I was hoping so much that new ipods and the ipad would have a built-in IR sender/receiver - that woudl make it ideal for using as advanced remote, but no luck so far. These add-ons are OK but a bit awkward (dongles) or need extra boxes+power (wifi boxes), so a built-in IR one would have been so much neater and way more fitting with the whole apple's slick styling thing.

Anyhow, looks very good.

A

Anonymous

£150 ???

Wouldnt u do better just getting a Harmony One. ?

Iphone is far too small and fiddly to use as a remote. Now if it had some of the remote play functionality of the PSP/PS3 combination that might be interesting - but this doesnt seem to do anything new.

This sort of app has been around for years on PDA's and never caught on.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
agreed, but previous pdas were not ipods... I think this type of app has more chances when it is on an ipod due to ipods market penetration.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts