TT to match Naim CD3.5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current set-up is a ProJect Xpression 2 with Goldring 1042 and Speedbox II, but this is significantly outclassed by my Naim CD3.5. The amp is a Nait 5i.

I'm trying not to go to an LP12 as this is out of my price range, but the pro-ject is disappointing in comparison.

Any suggestions as to what would be a contender for the CD3.5?

FG

A

Anonymous

What's your budget? Also, do you want new or secondhand?

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:What's your budget? Also, do you want new or secondhand?

It's not really a budget question - right now I'm just trying to establish what are the TTs that can match the CD3.5 are. The cost will determine timing i.e. an LP12 is a lot further off than a turntable at half that price.

FG

A

Anonymous

chebby:Rega P5 + Rega Exact + Rega TT-PSU
Great synergy with Naim.

V interesting - I chose the Xpression 2 over the P3 - looks like the P5 is worth a listen then.

Thx

FG

A

Anonymous

Which is why I wondered about secondhand. The best bet would be the TT he or she mentioned, an LP12 with Linn arm and cartridge.

I'd (for once) avoid the budget Regas - and I agree with you about the Xpression vs P3, having heard a slightly souped-up one against a P3 with all the trimmings.

Other options would be Nottingham Analogue, if you can live with hand-starting them, or VPI.

Edit: and Linn's synergy with Naim is, of course, legendary...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Foie Gras:V interesting - I chose the Xpression 2 over the P3

Did you choose it over the P3-24 with TT-PSU? (That last bit is essential for the excellent timing improvement it brings).

A

Anonymous

chebby:Did you choose it over the P3-24 with TT-PSU? (That last bit is essential for the excellent timing improvement it brings)

To be honest, I can't remember.

FG

A

Anonymous

OK time to dig up this old thread :)

Having heard an LP12, I decided that I should go this route regardless of how long it took me to get there. My strategy was to buy a decent one that was value for money and then, if needed, take a slow meandering walk along the upgrade path enjoying each step on the way.

eBay came up trumps over the weekend and I bought this:

LINN SONDEK LP12 , NAIM ARMAGEDDON POWER SUPPLY, REGA RB300 TONEARM , ORTOFON 520 MARK 2 CART EX CONDITION

LINN COMES WITH ORIGINAL BOX AND PACKING.

SET UP RECENTLY AND SERVICED BY INSPIRE HIFI ( ONE OF THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY )

HAS INSPIRE ACRIMAT .

SOLD WITH UN USED CLEAR LINN LID AND BRACKETS, STILL IN THE MAIN BOX!!

I don't want to change anything on the turntable yet, but I do think that a few quid spent on the phono stage is now worthwhile.

The two that are catching my eye are the Lehmann Black Cube and the Naim Stageline. With the Naim amp & Armageddon, I am naturally biassed towards the Stageline, but I see the downsides as being that I need to buy a potentially costly power supply for it and that it would constrain my cartridge upgrade path to MM if I bought it to support this set-up.

Thoughts & advice mucho appreciated.

FG

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
No need to worry about getting the wrong Stageline. Naim gear always holds its 2nd hand value. If you get a MM (Stageline N) then this will also accept high output MC carts. If needed sell stageline when needed and get the correct MC one.

Stageline can be powered be a flatcap 2xs or hicap or i supply (the latter has been discontinued but come up on auction sites occasionally).

Dont mention this on the "other" forum (it will be modded) but TeddyCap also do Hicap equivalents for around 1/3 price

A

Anonymous

Those TeddyCaps look interesting, thanks for that makes the Stageline competitively priced with something like a WhestTWO

Mark

TRENDING THREADS