Trying to make my mind up on a source for my new Rega dac, tried my blue ray player with strange results.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Just thought i would check im not going mad,

I have just taken delivery of the new Rega Dac and a Naim Nait 5i amp, they have been running 24/7 since last Wednesday in an effort to run them in a little faster. ( and im very pleased with the results so far)

Anyway to the point, I am planning on going the streaming route with my nas drive and possibly a Sonos zp90 or similar,

So in the mean time i have just been using my old cd player a denon df101 midi hifi as transport , using the optical out.

And my Sony BDPs360 blueray player to experiment with 24bit music on dvd, again using optical.

Out of interest i tried a normal cd on the sony and WOW it sounds amazing, the Denon cd was good but the sony for some reason sounds so much more open and detailed, More punch, and no harshness like the Denon. but still more clarity.

I was very surprised that the Blueray player out performed the Denon CD player by such a large margin,

Do you guys think that this is normal?

Just hoping the Sonos zp90 sounds as good as my sony blueray player, (Thats not something i thought i would have said)

Tim

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not ever so technical (and I may have dreamt this), but sure I read somewhere that DVD/BDP on the whole use more precise transports than a CD player, something to do with needing to be more precise when extracting data from a disc. So as you are putting both through the same dac I' not ever so surprised. Of course this is general rule of thumb and not precise fact.

I've just got a couple of ZP90s, both are connected via optical, one using the dac on a Yamaha RXV667 AV receiver. The other via an Arcam rdac to a Musical Firdelity XA2 amp. I'm seriously impressed by the quality.

Only just set it up, but I'll be doing some side by side testing with my CDP tomorrow.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
tim20:
Hi Just thought i would check im not going mad,

I have just taken delivery of the new Rega Dac and a Naim Nait 5i amp, they have been running 24/7 since last Wednesday in an effort to run them in a little faster. ( and im very pleased with the results so far)

What do you mean by running in? Why would the components sound any different?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
SonofSun:
What do you mean by running in? Why would the components sound any different?

Let's not start all that.....

Tim - you won't be disappointed with a Sonos zp90 into your DAC. I recommend a good coax cable though - I got my Atlas Opus for a great price from Weymouth Hifi's ebay shop.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
OK - I have a Sony blu-ray player too, which until now I've only used for very occasional CD listening if I had something that I hadn't ripped yet, or had ripped but not yet updated the music index on my Sonos. I thought I'd do a quick back to back with the Sonos.

Now bearing in mind that this was just one song (Radiohead - No Surprises) I found that the Sonos sounded better. Mainly there was just more definition and shape to the bass, but I thought that the percussion sounded crisper and more detailed too. My ZP90 does have a better cable on it than the Blu-ray player, but not enough to account for the difference (the cable that is now on the Sony used to be on the ZP90 and I remember the difference when I upgraded it being much more subtle).

Anyway I hope that helps to reassure you, although ultimately it will be your own ears that matter. It sounds like you've bought a great system, so enjoy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for taking the time to compare the two, its given me a little more hope for the sonos,

One thing thats playing on my mind is buying a used Mac Mini as source, using its optical out,

Have any of you guys ever compared a Sonos zp90 against a Mac Mini for sound quality?

A friend is lending me an original apple tv 160gb which im hoping will give a similar perform ance to the mac mini,

Any body have any experiences with the Mac Mini

Thanks

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts