Trading in Arcam for Marantz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current setup: Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp and 8se cd player biwired to some new B&W 685's with QED xt sliver anniv. cables. Problem is the sound is rather boring and lifeless, especially as I listen to mostly rock.

I may have the opportunity to trade in the Arcams for the Marantz PM6002 and CD6002 player at a chain store that stocks both brands. The question is, since the Marantz are still both 'entry level' will this improve the sound in the way I'm hoping for? Other brands are available in other stores (no trade in for my current equip though) including Rega, Rotel and NAD. Anything else is over budget. Since I'm unable to test all of these togethor in the same place, opinions might be helpful. Is the Rega Apollo worth the extra, or is it just a more refined sound than the Marantz? Is it better to stick with what I have and upgrade the interconnects and power cords?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd keep what you have and save up for a while unless you have real issues with your current system. If you have the opportunity go and listen to the alternatives but to make a worthwile upgrade rather than change for the sake of it I'd set my sights on something such as cyrus or naim.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Captain Destructo"]
Current setup: Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp and 8se cd player biwired to some new B&W 685's with QED xt sliver anniv. cables. Problem is the sound is rather boring and lifeless, especially as I listen to mostly rock.
[/quote]
Am I right in thinking you've just changed your speakers? Could this be the issue? The B&Ws you mention are not well known on this forum for their excitment and drive. What were you using before and what kind of sound were you getting?

I recently heard the Marantz combo hooked up to the B&Ws and didn't buy the speakers for just that reason. Very nice, big, open, clear soundstage, but somehow a bit... dull.

John Duncan

[quote user="tractorboy"][quote user="Captain Destructo"]

[/quote]

Am I right in thinking you've just changed your speakers? Could this be the issue? The B&Ws you mention are not well known on this forum for their excitment and drive. What were you using before and what kind of sound were you getting?
I recently heard the Marantz combo hooked up to the B&Ws and didn't buy the speakers for just that reason. Very nice, big, open, clear soundstage, but somehow a bit... dull.
[/quote]

I would look at the CD player and particularly the amp, which are a bit flat if you ask me - Rega are a hoot with rock, but failing that I think you would get a kick out of the Marantz pair - maybe too much though, since they're pretty upfront.,p>

Am inclined to agree with drummerman though - it's not *that* much of an upgrade - you should maybe consider leaving the CD player for now and blowing all your budget on an amp. If you;re set on Matantz though, maybe look at the PM7001, which for not much more money is much more amp, to my mind.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Captain Destructo"]

I may have the opportunity to trade in the Arcams for the Marantz PM6002 and CD6002 player at a chain store that stocks both brands. The question is, since the Marantz are still both 'entry level' will this improve the sound in the way I'm hoping for? Other brands are available in other stores (no trade in for my current equip though) including Rega, Rotel and NAD. Anything else is over budget. Since I'm unable to test all of these togethor in the same place, opinions might be helpful. Is the Rega Apollo worth the extra, or is it just a more refined sound than the Marantz? Is it better to stick with what I have and upgrade the interconnects and power cords?
[/quote]
I would experiment with some different speakers if I were you...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I love the sound of my Arcam gear but if there's one genre they aren't great with it's rock. Doesn't bother me as I don;t really listen to rock.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]I love the sound of my Arcam gear but if there's one genre they aren't great with it's rock. Doesn't bother me as I don;t really listen to rock.[/quote]

I think my A32 is superb with rock - sooo much power and the bass is so adictive! Infact, (this is true by the way, just for clarification) I put my parent's old Aiwa Micro-system speakers on it (they are from 1997, wood-finished two way bass reflex) and oh, they just came alive! Can buy them for a tenner on ebay too!

A

Anonymous

Keep the amp, and have a look for a 2nd hand Rotel RCD-1070, or the newer RCD-1072 CD player. I think that would liven things up a bit for you.

A

Anonymous

... so much conflicting advice. These are my first pair of real speakers, so they'll have to stay. I also don't want to spend 4-5K on new equipment (Naim or Cyrus) just to get a more exciting sound. All I'm looking for is a more physical, less refined sound with some decent dynamics. I can't live with the system as it is, it's too boring. Would the Rotel RA-04 be a better choice of amp than the Marantz?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am not a follower of arcam nor your B&W's, I find them dull and would point my finger there. Try something from Epos before you change amps but understand if you're not exactly fond of that idea as yours are new. Its just a bad match.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]Seriously, audition a NAD amp in your budget. They are powerful, and will suit the B&W's perfectly. Also its quite probably you will find a dealer selling B&W and NAD, negating the need to drag your speakers along, although a home trial is best.

[/quote]I agree, the NAD may be a little more well-rounded and I think that's what's needed.

I also agree that the B&W's can be dull, the best alternative would be to buy a MUCH more happenin amp. Roksan Kandy jumps to mind, can find slightly older ones on the cheap, definetly less 'boring' than your niner.

A

Anonymous

Epos aren't available here in New Zealand, neither are Roksan. What's available in speaker alternatives is the MA RS1, Rega R1, (heard neither) and Dynaudio audience 42 (heard the Dyns and didn't like them). What's available in equipment is the Rotel RA-04, Marantz, NAD (C352), and Rega Brio/Apollo. Naim and Cyrus also but as I said they are way above what I'm prepared to spend.

A

Anonymous

Well I'll bet biscuits you can get more than that! I mean... sure it's the most geologically isolated country on Earth... I'm going googling and seeing what I can see.

Regardless, I'd re-recommend waiting on it. If you're bored then a bigger budget might be a good idea, all the speakers on the list now don't do the nad justice. I'd get the c352, keep the cd player and hold out for RS6's or R3's.

A

Anonymous

I'd have a listen to the audiolab 8000s... definetly worth a listen and available in NZ.

A

Anonymous

//I'd get the c352, keep the cd player and hold out for RS6's or R3's//

Room is only 4x4m, so floorstanders are out of the question.

The NAD is a very warm sounding amplifier (I tested the C370 some years ago). I'm not sure how well it would go with the cd player. Perhaps if I just went for the Rotel RA-04 with the Marantz player like WHF recommended, hopefully that would change the character of the sound enough.

A

Anonymous

I listen to the Marantz PM/CD 6002 and B&W 685 combo every day ... it's great with all types of music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts