tough choice to Bose or not to bose..

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Im about to purchase my first home cinema setup. I current have the AE Neo 3 V2 floorstanders. (link) http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/6741

And use these for my stereo. I was thinking of upgrading and spending around £700 to purchase the complete set (http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/7091)

I was also then going to by a decent amp with airplay and all codecs etc... such as the
Pioneer VSX-920 orDenon AVR-2310

However, I have the opportunity to purchase the Bose Lifestyle V30 for around £600. Saving me a good £600 and more importantly space! This money could then be used for a new stereo amp such as the
Naim Nait 5i.

But will I be disapointed with the Bose, mainly will use it for Elder Scrolls Skyrim on 360 and blu rays.

Thanks I hope you guys and gals can help.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a Bose Acoustimass 15, in an old cottage. Purchased 12 years ago (solely for watching TV) for aesthetics as much as sound quality, and still absolutely delighted with it. I recently spoke of upgrading but this was veteod by SWMBO.

You've got to demo it before buying. I didn't like the V30 due to its rubbish midrange. Also remember that it has only 2 HDMI ports which will fill up with your sky HD box & blu-ray player. If you have a PS3 etc. as well, you're stuffed.

For someone used to floorstanders, I think you will be disappointed.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I would definitely demo. A few people would argue that Bose aren't worth the premium that they charge and it is artificially high to maintain the idea that thye are somehow a premium product. Their advertising would suggest they are but the reality is, they're built with cheap materials and most of the price you pay is for the design and marketing. Don't get me wrong, some of their products are quite good and this is all just my opinion but if it was my money, I would be looking elsewhere. It's funny if you ask someone with little knowledge of AV what a top brand is, they will more than likely come back with "Bose". Ask them about Linn, Bowers and Wilkins, Monitor Audio, Naim, Arcam and such like and they will look at you as if you've just arrived from Mars. The power of marketing indeed.

As above, if you're used to a quality setup, demo, demo and demo some more.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not to Bose :) Bose as said above is about style rather than substance. For the price they charge, you could very easily purchase a far superior setup from a different manufacturer like B&W or MA. It depends what you are prepared to live with and what type of speakers you want occupying your living room. If you dont want floorstanding speakers then look no further than the Apex by MA. Check out the Apex Club thread there are many happy customers and if you ask me they look better than Bose ;) But do Demo away!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts