Totally out of my depth. Please help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've looked online for help, spoken to salespeople in Currys and John Lewis, and still haven't found a clear answer to my questions so I hope I've come to the right place!

I have a fairly old hifi separates system made up of:

Cd: marantz CD-48

Amp: Cambridge audio azur 340A

Speakers: Tannoy bookshelf (don't know what model).

I'd like to hook this up to a TV when I move into my new flat and am writing to ask... is this possible?? (is it even worth it, or will the sound not be much different??)

Do I need an AV receiver? I will probably get a DVD player too. So does that make my marantz redundant? Or is there a difference in sound?

I will upgrade where necessary, but don't want to spend any more than £350 in total...

Any advice is MOST gratefully received!!!

Many thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No issues plugging both your TV and DVD player into the Cambridge and this will most probably give you a better sound than just TV speakers. If you want surround sound though, you will need to upgrade to an AV receiver. Personally, I would keep the CD player - it will almost certainly be better at spinning CDs than your DVD player (unless you're spending lots on the DVD player).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Best to look for a TV with a line audio output, on a pair of phono sockets - usually a red one and a white one, and make sure they're outputs not inputs - as these tend to sound better when run through an amp than the signal from the TV's headphone socket.

Other than that, heed the prof - he counsels wisely.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for your replies! Andrew, could you recommend some interconnecting cables? Or would the ones that come with the TV be suitable?

A

Anonymous

Probably less than a metre. Definitely no more than 2 metres...

Hopefully such cables exist...?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
just a pair of normal RCA analogue interconnects? Cheapish Cambridge ones in Richer Sounds for about £15, or get some Chord Crimson ones for about £35 (try ebay - Analogue Seduction have an online ebay store).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
emotion-21.gif
to that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts