Toslink output from old Virgin Pace box

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a basic subscription with Virgin (not HD) and a stone age Pace cable box (ex-NTL). This box is so old it does not have any audio outputs (no rca phonos or toslink).

I know that because I connect the Pace box to my TV and DVD recorder via scart I can get then use the audio outputs from the TV and DVD recorder. However, I would prefer a direct digital toslink connection from my cable box to my Dacmagic for listening to radio.

People advertise Samsung V boxes and Virgin V / V+ on eBay (which I believe have toslink). Can I simply buy one of these and replace my ageing Pace box - or isn't it that simple?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
I was under the impression that Virgin only lease their cable boxes to customers, so anyone selling one is selling something they don't actually own. I know both my boxes are the property of Virgin media, so I'd be wary of buying one from fleabay. Can't you just phone Virgin and tell them that as your box is so old, you can't connect it to your AV system and could they swap it for a new one with a Toslink connection. Or you could tell them it has an intermittent fault - they won't want to sit around at your house waiting for it to happen so may just change it anyway.

Rob

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I had the old Pace box and they swapped it for a Samsung V (not +) box using the same smart card, so I suspect it would work fine.

Thanks John - so your Samsung V Box had a toslink output? Also as a matter of interest was the Samsung any better operationally than the Pace. I have always thought the naming of the Pace was ironic considering how slow it is to respond to key presses!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts