Anonymous

there are loads ... here are a few that I enjoy:

Nils Lofgren ... Acoustic Live

DiMeola Al Meola De Lucia ... Friday Night in San Fransico

Buena Vista social club at Carnegie hall

Jackson Browne ... Solo Acoustic volume 1

Kenny Barron ... Live at bradley's

Monty Alexander trio ... ive at Montreaux festival

Musica Nuda ... live a Fip (there are only 2 tracks on here that I enjoy)

Thea Gilmore ... recorded delivery

Hadouk Trio ... baldamore

John Mayall ... azz blued fusion

ray Bryant ... Atlantic Jazz: piano

Chris Jones ... free man

talking Heads ... top making sense

John Mayer ... live in los angeles

john logan ... live as it gets

Neil diamond ... hot august night

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Richard Thompson has released loads of very high quality live albums over the last 15/20 years, extremely well recorded and presented. The few bootlegs I've heard are atrocious in comparison, I don't know why people bother with them.

My favourite live recordings (non Richard Thompson) would be Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Live At Montreaux 1982 & 1985", and Van Morrison's "It's Too Late To Stop Now" (recorded at a time when Van was interesting).

Finally, if you're into Rock/Blues you can't go far wrong with Fleetwood Mac's "Live In Boston", a triple CD set. Peter Green never sounded better.

A

Anonymous

another new one in my collection is by Julieta Venegas ... MTV unplugged ... paid £3 at a pawn shop ... might nor be everyone's 'cup of tea', but a few good tracks on there

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
dim_span:
oops .... nearly forgot ... Eric Clapton Unplugged ....

That's prompted another thought...

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood "Live From Madison Square Garden 2008". What a fantastic recording that is.

A

Anonymous

Hooker n' Heat (John Lee Hooker with Canned Heat) ...brilliant (if you enjoy blues)

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
B0009F9O08.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Even though he seems to wearing Dot Cotton's hair.

album-rock-n-roll-animal.jpg

brown-james-133-l.jpg

at-folsom-prison.jpg

A

Anonymous

Natalie Merchant, Nirvana and Sigur Ros. Also White Stripes at the Empress Ballroom because I was there.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
dim_span:Hooker n' Heat (John Lee Hooker with Canned Heat) ...brilliant (if you enjoy blues)

Indeed I do. In fact I only played my old double LP of this a couple of weeks ago when I transferred it onto my PC for burning a CD for the car.

Not a Live album as such, but pretty much recorded "Live" in the studio with no overdubs etc. "Boogie Chillen No 2" and "Peavine" are fantastic.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I've got three favourites. Theres something very special about a live recording in front of an enthusiastic audience. The last one is Daft Punk Alive 2007, safe to say, if I had bought it in tape format it would be needing replacement by now.

51p7-NfMxCL._SS500_.jpg

51OxaAPVhgL._SS500_.jpg

51n2Z1oEokL._SS500_.jpg

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:Simon Lucas:

album-rock-n-roll-animal.jpg

Top selection for me this one -Simon- I saw this line up with Hunter/Wagner- The intro to Sweet Jane is top notch.

excellent recomendation ... have also added this one on my list of cd's to buy ...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:Natalie Merchant, Nirvana and Sigur Ros. Also White Stripes at the Empress Ballroom because I was there.

Got Natalie Merchant-Ophelia on HDCD last week. First solo album of hers that I bought. Beautiful stuff.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Pearl Jam-Live On Two Legs.

There's plenty of Pearl Jam live recordings, but this has the edge over the others in both sound recording and the standard of Eddie's singing. The stereo separation is superb, too. Oh, and it's HDCD encoded, which sounds superb.

A

Anonymous

Metallica S&M

Pink floyd the Wall Live

Roger Waters in the Flesh Live

A

Anonymous

Rush - Exit Stage Left

Neil Young - Live Rust

UFO - Strangers In The Night

A

Anonymous

Suggestions below. Not all are amazing sound quality, but as a music fan first, Hi Fi fan second, I can happily put up with that:

Various: Jazz on a Summers Day

Errol Garner: Concert by the Sea

Muddy Waters: Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live

Bob Marley and the Wailers: Live!

Curtis Mayfield: Curtis/Live

James Brown: Live at the Apollo Vol II

Parliament/Funkadelic/George Clinton: Live from Houston

The Band +Various: The Last Waltz

Bob Dylan: Live 1964

Bob Dylan; Live 1966

Bob Dylan/The Band: Before the Flood

Bob Dylan: Live 1975

Bob Dylan: Hard Rain

Jefferson Airplane: Bless its Pointed Little Head

The Who: Live at Leeds

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: 4 Way Street (A definitive version of 'On the Way Home' - Oh how I long for decent quality Buffalo Springfield live recordings)

Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison

Johnny Cash: At San Quentin

Neil Young/Crazy Horse: At the Fillmore 1970

Neil Young: Time Fades Away

Neil Young: Live Rust

Neil Young: Unplugged

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: Hammersmith Odeon, '75

Talking Heads: The Name Of This Band Is (2004 expanded version)

Jeff Buckley: Live at Sin-E

Portishead: Roseland NYC live

Sigur Ros: Heima

BBC website / red button over the festival period

I assume we can't discuss live bootlegs so these are only official releases
emotion-6.gif
c'est la vie

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Iron maiden: rock in Rio,
Robbie Williams: live at Knebworth
Gotthard: made in Switzerland
Nirvana: unplugged
Metallica: Cunning stunts
Peter Gabriel: Growing up live
Megadeth: that one night, live in Buenos Aires

A

Anonymous

DIB:
Richard Thompson has released loads of very high quality live albums over the last 15/20 years, extremely well recorded and presented

emotion-21.gif
See you at the Meltdown Festival this June then + 'The Calvary Cross' on the 2004 remaster of 'I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight' fantastic!

DIB:

The few bootlegs I've heard are atrocious in comparison,
I don't know why people bother with them.

That was the reason he started selling his own live recordings. To gain control over the quality. Unfortunately sometimes you have no choice but to put up with whatever sound limitations there are. I'd suggest if people aren't prepared to listen to lower quality records they are really missing out.

I'd rather listen to a poor quality recording of an amazing performance over an amazing quality recording of a poor performance any day. However, big thumbs up to those like Richard Thompson, Bob Dylan and Neil Young who actually release official bootlegs series. I wish more would.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts