Top 3 Albums youve heard this year?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Doesnt have to be made this year.

Ive discovered a few albums on here that have become some of my all time favourites.

Big thanks to daveh75,idc and dimspan amongst the many others.

1. Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Self Titled. This is the album I listen to every day at the moment. Near perfect!

2. Jaga Jazzist - A Living Room Hush. Jazzy drum n bass electronica. Those are a few of my favourite things!

3. Vitalic - Flashmob. Sleazy electro- techno. Fantastic stuff!

Just missing out were Roisin Murphy, Brigitte Fontaine and Tom Waits.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
1. The Faceless - Planetary Duality.

Awesome technical metal!
emotion-21.gif

I'll ponder the others.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Because of my profession, I have a very strange tase in what I hear off the clock!

1) "An electric storm" by White Noise (1969)

2) "Resistance" by Muse (2009 DTS surround release)

3) "It's not me, it's you" by Lily Allen (2009)

They say that you can tell a lot from a person's music collection.
If that's the case, I should have been locked up years ago . . . .

A

Anonymous

Since Dec, I've been trying to buy really good recordings/productions and buy 2-3 a week ... here are 4 that I enjoy (in no particular order)

I enjoy Penguin cafe and will be looking at buying 2 of their cd's within the next week (self titled and the one titled 'when in Rome')... both of these are regarded as very good productions/recordings ...

will also look at a few more jazz/classical cd's within the next few weeks

idc

The Scandinavian Prog Rock Scene is 'sooo last year', though it will come back into fashion, probably mid February. At the moment instrumental prog is 'the new black' and the three best albums so far this year are:

The Album Leaf - 'Into the Blue' from the US

Couch - 'Profane' from Germany

Saxon Shore - 'Be a Bright Blue' also from the US

matthewpiano

My answer relates to 2010 as 'this year', and my 3 picks so far are:

Betrays the influence of Springsteen in some ways and Dylan in others, but at the same time it is quite unique and fresh sounding. Good songwriting and clever instrumentation.

On the short side but very intimate and actually quite moving in its sparse production.

Different to the first Imagined Village album. The 'star guests' are nowhere to be seen and the production is not as heavy but, in my opinion, it is actually better for it. Superb musicianship as you would expect from Eliza Carthy, Martin Carthy, Chris Wood et al.

T

the record spot

In the course of the past year, it has to be:-

Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate (just brilliant)

Julie Feeney - Pages (same, but wonderful vocals and recording)

Weather Report - debut album (Japanese pressing - one of the best "soundstage" albums I've ever owned)

...and I'm going to chuck in a fourth, Pink Floyd's "Meddle", another Japanese disc (looks like it's got a UK catalogue number, but the disc is manufactured in Japan and has a black label). Sounds amazing and this is one of my favourite PF albums.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Massive Attack - Heligoland (awesome - a slow-burner that gets better with every listen)

Basia Bulat - Heart Of My Own (not normally my cup of java - a pressie - but really enjoying it; what a voice; great production, too)

Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes Of Rita (cor!)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:In the course of the past year, it has to be:-

Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate (just brilliant)

Julie Feeney - Pages (same, but wonderful vocals and recording)

Weather Report - debut album (Japanese pressing - one of the best "soundstage" albums I've ever owned)

...and I'm going to chuck in a fourth, Pink Floyd's "Meddle", another Japanese disc (looks like it's got a UK catalogue number, but the disc is manufactured in Japan and has a black label). Sounds amazing and this is one of my favourite PF albums.

I love the Madness album too.

My three from what I've listened to in the past couple of months and one from last year,

Corinne Bailey Rae's haunting/stunning/brilliant album, "The Sea".
Florence & The Machine - "Lungs".
Kasabian - West Ryder Paper Lunatic Asylum

A

Anonymous

I've also discovered some crackers already this year:

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Road Original Score - haunting, beautiful and brilliantly produced

Yeasayer - Odd Blood - insanely quirky indie-dance pop

The Unthanks - Here's the Tender Coming - 2009 release that I've only just delved into properly. Totally folky.

Not heard any great rock/metal yet this year. Fingers-crossed Coheed & Cambria's new album is everything I'm hoping it'll be...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts