Too Many Upgrade Options - Please Help...

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi - I am currently in upgrade mode once again, and would appreciate your thoughts on possible ways to go. I have moved house, and have recently been trialing the Chord Hugo Dac. These two events have coincided to make me appreciate that my current set-up is very good, and nearly there. I am hoping a final adjustment might make all the difference. (The familiar plea from all hi-fi owners I guess ?) My objectives from any change would be to move to a more “analogue” sounding set-up with if possible a bit more detail, a broader soundstage and maybe adding a tiny bit of warmth.
My current set-up is :Source : Audiolab 8200CD/AVA Rip-N-Play/Squeezebox Touch. Amps : Bryston BP6/2B SSt Pre & Power. Speakers : KEF Reference 203/2’s. I stream from the AVA using the Squeezebox 99% of the time, currently through the Chord Hugo Dac. I feel the Squeezebox may be the weak link, and am worried it may pack up any day with little chance of replacing it. My options are :(1) Buy the Hugo – it sounds great and much better than the iRDac I had before(2) As I do little headphone listening now, buy the Chord 2QUTE which should sound the same as the Hugo, looks better and is cheaper.(3) Sell the Bryston Pre, and go for the mighty Chord Hugo TT. It is expensive, but should sound even better than the Hugo and has balanced outputs I could use.(4) Go for a combined Streamer/Dac like the Naim ND5XS or the Linn Majik DS(5) Sell the Pre, and go for something like the Naim NAC-N 272. Any thoughts on the above, or any other ideas to address the issues outlined above ? Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I love the combination of the Linn Majik DS with my 205/2s. It's the most "analogue" sounding digital source that I've heard.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
If you're looking for warmth and superb detail the Electrocompaniet amps would fit the bill, or Abrahamson which is getting rave reviews in these parts at the moment.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I love the combination of the Linn Majik DS with my 205/2s. It's the most "analogue" sounding digital source that I've heard.

+1 on the linn ds.

Adding warmth is coming across to me like what you're hearing is not completely convincing natural sound. One other solution might be adding more soft furnishing to the room

audylubis

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I owned Chord Hugo and have been using it for almost 8 months. I find the following:

1. I prefer not to use preamp for Hugo as Hugo volume control is still live even if you use it as Dac only. Rob Watts (Hugo designer) also recommends using Hugo straight to power amp.

You can look it up on this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/10275#post_11513853 . It's a long thread, but you can filter the thread to show Rob Watts comments only.

2. He also prefers using optical input and I find that input to be the best sounding so far. Both Hugo USB input does not have galvanic isolation but the 2Qute and Hugo TT have.

3. Chord Hugo is rather transport sensitive. I prefer CD player to my Mac Mini as transport.

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate all of your input on this...

1] I plan to home demo a Majik DSL soon...will it work direct into the power amp ?

2] has anyone been able to compare the Hugo with the TT yet ?

3] am also investigating room acoustic treatments just to add some more things to think about !

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Excitable Boy said:

1] I plan to home demo a Majik DSL soon...will it work direct into the power amp ?

I believe a Majik DSM should do so....a standard DS has an on-board volume control for connecting directly to a power amp.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Excitable Boy said:

I believe a Majik DSM should do so....a standard DS has an on-board volume control for connecting directly to a power amp.
Cno,
What's the difference between a ds's onboard volume control and the dsm with a pre amplifier built in when I connect them to a power amp?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Superaintit said:
CnoEvil said:
Excitable Boy said:

Cno, What's the difference between a ds's onboard volume control and the dsm with a pre amplifier built in when I connect them to a power amp?

The Linn DS has no inputs, just a digital volume control. The DSM is a streamer/integrated amp with pre-outs and a full consignment of digital/analogue in and a phono stage.

DSM

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DSM

http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/network-music-players/majik-dsm

DS

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DS

http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/network-music-players/majik-ds

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Really appreciate all of your inputs - will need to take my time with this one. Would be great to hear if anyone has managed to compare the Hugo with the Hugo TT SQ-wise. Thanks.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If your consdiring doing room treatments - do this first!

Listen to what you have then decide what you want to change / demo in its place. It makes no sense to do this after as it will impact what you hear then all previous demo's become semi redundant

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts