Today's PS5 software up brings 3D Audio to your TV speakers

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I got caught up in the surround system craze back in the 1990s and thought I was mega cool. I wasn't, and arguably still am not. As I have got older (matured?), I have come to realise that surround sound 'just about' works in a cinema but in a domestic environment that most of us inhabit, its a complete and utter faff and truly doesn't add that much.

The industry including their media hangers-on will keep trying to get us to upgrade to the latest 'thing'. If you have a PS5 already, then maybe give it a go and tell us what you think. However, I'm happy for now with my PS4 Pro in bog-standard stereo.

Woogy

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I got caught up in the surround system craze back in the 1990s and thought I was mega cool. I wasn't, and arguably still am not. As I have got older (matured?), I have come to realise that surround sound 'just about' works in a cinema but in a domestic environment that most of us inhabit, its a complete and utter faff and truly doesn't add that much.

The industry including their media hangers-on will keep trying to get us to upgrade to the latest 'thing'. If you have a PS5 already, then maybe give it a go and tell us what you think. However, I'm happy for now with my PS4 Pro in bog-standard stereo.

Firstly, your PS4 Pro isn't limited to just stereo output. Not unless you only have it connected to a TV with two speakers of course.

Secondly, with regard Sony's clumsy attempt at faux surround with this 3D nonsense, the few that will benefit from it are the ones that own the games that utilise it (of which there's only around a dozen).

It doesn't improve or add anything to every game. If you toggle it on with a game that doesn't utilise it, it sounds worse.

So, just like Sony's screwed up approach to DV via their UHD players where you have to toggle DV on and off accordingly, the same goes for the few games that will benefit from 3D audio via the PS5.

Keep your PS4 Pro.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts