To Spike or Not To Spike

halba

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
I have a Cyrus system with a wooden Cyrus equipment rack which is spiked through the carpet to a concrete floor. The speakers are also spiked with one being placed only a few inches from the rack.

I have read about the pros & cons of spikes so I decided to remove the spikes from the rack... well the difference was absolutley staggering, sound stage (left to right, front to back & up & down), clarity to top, middle & bottom, bass control - it was as if I had just upgraded my system with a far superior CDP.

If I remove the spikes from the speakers will this give an improvement or will the speakers become unstable & therefore give a deteriation to the sound?

idc

Hi Halba. I am surprised that you say removing the rack spikes helped so much. Could your rack have been uneven and is now perfectly level? Is it a heavy rack?

Only you will be able to tell whether removing the stand spikes will produce the same effects. Again spikes are not just about vibration but also help to make stands level.

halba

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks idc,

The rack itself if not over heavy but it has three power supplies, power & intergraded amps & CDP.

If the speakers are stable is there a need to spike them?

idc

The spikes are to help make stands stable, so no they are not necessary, but I like experimenting with that sort of thing. You can try blue tac between speaker and stand as well.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Much as Idc said, the only way to know is to have a listen mate, whip the spikes off and see how it goes. Just make sure your speakers/stands are stable without spikes.

activebass

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I recently bought a pair of Atacama Nexus 6, which of course came with carpet spikes.

My question is whether there's a point in putting the spikes on, if you don't have a carpet.

I have granite flooring and am abit concerned the spikes could scratch the floor.

Problem is that one stand is level, while the other isn't.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:If you need the spikes to level the stands, just put a 1p coin under each spike if you're worried about scratching the floor.

Just a slight tweak to Andrew's suggestion.

Use a centre-punch and hammer to to make an indent in the middle of each coin for each spike to sit in. (It will prevent them sliding around.)

Also on the bottom of each coin (to further protect a polished floor) you can affix self adhesive felt discs like these....

PMT65880.jpg

They only cost a couple of quid and there is one pack that has just the right size for 2P coins. (The pack I showed has mixed size but packs with discs all the same diameter are available.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts