To Gregory...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
How do you rate your Wharfy Lintons? I'm looking to buy some cheap speakers for downstairs, and I was wondering how they sound in comparison to more modern speakers. Would they be better than, say my Mission E30s or a similar very compact modern monitor speaker?

Many thanks mate!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello Hughesy, i wouldn't say they are compact but they are great speakers with the right amplification. I used them with my Leak stereo 20 and Croft micro pre, lovely sound. My brother has them now with an old technics amp, i think it's an SU 11, so being a vintage speaker they tend to sound nice with warm amplification. I got mine for a tenner off ebay so not much outlay. The dimensions are about 18 ins high 8 ins deep 8 ins wide or thereabouts. They were a bit tatty but some liquid gold polish brings them up a treat, in fact i would recommend it to all who have wood grained speakers, they also had some candle wax split onto the grills but a clothes brush sorted that out. I would use them with heavy stands, i managed to bag a pair of foundation stands for £15.00, when new these were close on £200.00 and the dimensions are pretty close for the Lintons. I have no hesitation in recommending these speakers, my brother has no intention of upgrading them so all in all a very nice speaker and overlooked and underrated but are they better than a modern compact speaker, yes and no, it's the choice of amplifier and source, being a vinyl man they sing with that medium, with cd they tend to calm cd's harshness but dull the sound but i like them, go on give them a go and let us know what you finally decide on. All the best, Gregory.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts