To El Hefe - Biamping a X-A2

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
For anybody really who has some experience with bi-amping this amp.

I've addressed this question to El Hefe as he has a very impressive group of MF kit.

I've seriously been thinking about bi-amping my X-A2. The manual suggests you can use either a pair of A200s or A50s. I guess I'd be happier using the A50s (if I ever see a pair for sale I'll probably take a chance), as a couple of A200s is going to be in excess of £400 if not more.

What I really want to know is that as the X-A2 has 75 Wpc and the A50s have 50w. Which would go to the HF / LF terminals on the speakers.

I recently changed my interconnect to Chord Chameleon which has left me with a spare pair of Crimson Plus. Would it be OK to use the Crimson to connect the power amps

Now. Speaker cable. I've currently got Chord Rumour 2, should I stick to the same cable for the extra lengths ?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Richard,

No issues using different wattage between X-A2 and X-A50s. Is the gains that is more critical. I have listened to X-A1 paired with a 75 wpc power amp from a different brand and it worked fine.

I would not say that this is a rule, but I would use the 75 wpc X-A2 to drive LF and X-A50s to drive HF.

As for the interconnects, any RCA IC can be used to connect X-A2 to X-A50s. But I recommend to use all the connection between the source to amp to power amp and to speakers from the same brand.

I am using QED IC from CDP to X10V3 to X-A1 to X-A50s. Also QED BIWIRE speaker cable from X-A1 and X-A50s to ProAc D18. I feel that by doing this, it maintains the same cable characteristics from QED throughout the signal path.

Good luck in your venture.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for a couple of X-A50s and give it a go.

I'll keep theChord Chameleon CD to XA2, Chord Crimson ICs XA2 to XA50s, and have 4 runs of Chord Rumour 2.

There's a pair of XA200s on ebay at the mo, but with 3 days to go they're already over £500.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts