Time to take a stand

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone. As previously posted I have just got a pair of Sonus Faber Toy bookshelf speakers. At the moment they are just sat on top of my KEFs and to get the best out of them I would like some proper stands to put them on. I have narrowed it down to either the partington super dreadnought or the ansa 60. Which would be best for my little Toys? I do like the look of the dreadnought but not sure if it will look a bit daft with such small speakers?

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Anyone? I'm also open to suggestions other than the two I have listed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi James

It's me again.

Have a look at "HiFi Racks". They make beautiful stuff that might look more in keeping with your speakers. Performance-wise, the Partingtons may be better...but that's a guess.

Regards

Cno

A

Anonymous

Thanks Cno

The Poduim T5 three leg looks very nice indeed. In walnut I think it would match nicely with the distressed brown leather of the speakers! Its also about the ammount I wanted to pay which is good. Ta!

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
James - I have a pair of Super Dreadnoughts supporting the B&W 685s in my second system. They're a solid stand and give good sonic performance, though they are pretty imposing in their look and feel (indeed, my 685s on the Dreadnoughts are significantly bigger than my floorstanding Rega RS3s). Whilst I like the industrial design of the Dreadnoughts, I think your Sonus Fabers may look a little dwarfed sitting on top. Although, that's very much a matter of personal taste and you may like the look. Presume you've done a google image search on both stands, which gives you a pretty good idea of how different size speakers look on the Partingtons. I haven't heard the Ansa's, but I doubt you'd be able to tell all too much difference (if any) between those and the Dreadnoughts.

As well as considering the HiFi Racks stands, which Cno has suggested, you may want to consider Custom Designs SQ404s. I particularly like the wood finish versions.

A

Anonymous

Hi Cold roses thanks for the reply il look into your suggestion. The dreadnoughts do look like they would dwarf my rather diminutive speakers. I'm not ready to buy at the moment having just got the speakers so I have some time to decide what will suit me best. I just wanted suggestions as I haven't had bookshelf speakers since my MS902s ant that was quite a while ago.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Temporary suggestion:

Make your own ie. Base + Top, connected by a bit of 2x4 (or whatever)..all screwed/glued together and sprayed matt black (from aerosol) - costs half nothing.

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Temporary suggestion: Make your own ie. Base + Top, connected by a bit of 2x4 (or whatever)..all screwed/glued together and sprayed matt black (from aerosol) - costs half nothing. Cno

Funny you should mention that as I had some home made stands for the 902s that I made for GCSE woodwork! I kinda threw them together and to be honest they weren't that brilliant but I would be willing to try again. Might go and price up some decent hard wood and see how much it will cost... Will probably end up looking like Frankenstein stands by the time I'm done!!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The word you're looking for is...bespoke.

New thread title needed: Time to make a stand!

Ps Also check out "Stands Unique"

Cno

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
Which would be best for my little Toys?

IMO - Speaker stands have the purpose to put the spekaers at the right height and give a good base. Given this, I have not seen the stands differ too much / influence much the sound from the speakers. I used to have a Dynaudio Stand 4 and now Mission stands. I have Sand filled in both the stands and bluetac at the top of the stands to hold the speakers firm. With these tweaks the performance of both the stands is identical.

So, my advice, is go for the stands which look best in your room and can take sand / attabite filling. Use some bluetac to hlod the speakers firm. That's it!

A

Anonymous

StevenKay said:
james_LR90

Is it Time to sit down and Listen?

Have you taken a stand now? If yes, what is it?

Cheers!

Hi Steven

I have not bought one yet but at the moment the one at the top of the list is one from Stands Unique. It's the one which has the single raked back column. I think it will be the least imposing of the stands I have looked at.

TRENDING THREADS