time to replace ageing kit

fourcotts

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Time has come to replace some of my system components. Much of it is old and it has all served me well but now the amp phono stage has gone and, given it is some 26 years old(!) I think repair is not an option - and I am somewhat overdue a new present. The amp in question is a Rotel RA-870.

Speakers are some old TDL G20-RTL which give me a good sound but will probably need replacing maybe in a year or so. CD player is Arcam CD73 and the turntable is a Rega Planar 25 with Ortofon cartridge. I also link my Sonos system into the amp.

Any suggestions?

matthewpiano

Firstly, keep the turntable. Get it serviced by a Rega dealer and consider a new cartridge to get the best out of your vinyl. In time you may wish to upgrade to a new RP3/Elys 2 combination but I don't think there is any urgency here.

In terms of replacing the rest of your kit, it depends on how much you have to spend. If you want an amplifier with a really good phono stage and a musical and involving sound, the Denon PMA720AE is a superb starting point. The phono stage is unusually good for an amp of its price and overall the amp manages to tread a really good line between providing excitement and dynamic range, and keeping instrumental timbres nice and accurate. Alternatively, if you would like to stick with Rotel, the RA10 has a decent phono stage and very good sound as well. The NAD C326BEE is also a great amp but doesn't have a phono stage and can be a little be congested sounding with some material, particularly in the bass.

The CD73T is still a fine player and you should feel no real urgency to replace it.

As for speakers, there is huge choice. Wharfedale, KEF, B&W, Tannoy, Dali and Q Acoustics are all making some excellent designs and what you choose will really be dependent on your room and musical choices. Personally I like Wharfedales as they don't try to be immediately impressive with jacked up bass and treble - it is a more balanced sound and one which invites you into the music rather than throwing it at you at 100 miles per hour.

TRENDING THREADS