Time to downsize from Bowers 602s3 Speakers

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I've had my Bowers & Wilkins 602S3 for some years, and I really do like them. Alas, its time to get some smaller speakers, as these are just too big and are not compatible with a toddler.

Budget for new speakers is £350 maximum.

So, whats out there that I should put on the shortlist?

Requriements:

- Size is important - roughly 250 wide by 350 tall or smaller.

- Placement - they will be placed on furniture with about 10-15cm space at the rear.

- Sound - I like the levels of bass the 602s3 produce, but I'm resigned to the fact that smaller speakers probably mean less bass.

- Music - Mainly electronic type stuff (think old daft punk, lcd sounsystem) & my wife listens to mainly hiphop (Jay-Z, Kanye, etc)

I have a Rotel RA-02 amp + Rotel RB-06 poweramp, source is a Squeezebox playing FLAC.

Hi Binman

602S3's are excellent speakers. Good old B&W
smiley-smile.gif

Anyway Monitor Audio's BX2's should do the trick
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Binman said:
I've had my Bowers & Wilkins 602S3 for some years, and I really do like them. Alas, its time to get some smaller speakers, as these are just too big and are not compatible with a toddler.

Requriements:

- Placement - they will be placed on furniture with about 10-15cm space at the rear.

- Sound - I like the levels of bass the 602s3 produce, but I'm resigned to the fact that smaller speakers probably mean less bass.

- Music - Mainly electronic type stuff (think old daft punk, lcd sounsystem) & my wife listens to mainly hiphop (Jay-Z, Kanye, etc)

I have a Rotel RA-02 amp + Rotel RB-06 poweramp, source is a Squeezebox playing FLAC.

Your budget, is that with or without funds from selling other equipment? Do you want new or happy with used?

£350 should get you a good used pair of Mackie HR624 monitors. Your RA-02 has a pre-out, so you could dispense with the power amp, which in turn frees up more cash for other things like music.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Hallo Binman,

As your Rotel has a pre-out you might consider using a subwoofer too boost your bass. You could buy your speakers first and add a subwoofer later if you find bass insufficient. With your budget you could get a couple of speakers for 150 to 200 pounds new. A subwoofer is quite expensive for what it does (just provide bass). You can get a new one for about 100 pounds.

I can't advise you on speakers as I do not listen to your style of music. However there are plenty too choose from. As the placement is near a wall you should look for speakers whith a front ported bass too avoid too much boominess (is that correct english?). My last piece of advice is to get out and listen first before you buy.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
My budget does include selling my speakers. However if I go down the active route I would probably sell both my amps as I only use a squeezebox as a source. The squeezebox has its own volume control.

I have been looking at reviews on what HiFi and they recommend Q Acoustics Concept 20. The Monitor Audio ones recommended above are £100 cheaper though. But I wouldn't want to go down a step in quality from my current speakers.

Binman said:

Requriements:

Clicky or these.

TBH the B&Ws are very hard to beat IMO. You'll probably lose a little bass depth but improve on definition.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Binman said:
My budget does include selling my speakers. However if I go down the active route I would probably sell both my amps as I only use a squeezebox as a source. The squeezebox has its own volume control.

I have been looking at reviews on what HiFi and they recommend Q Acoustics Concept 20. The Monitor Audio ones recommended above are £100 cheaper though. But I wouldn't want to go down a step in quality from my current speakers.

Well, it seems as if you've done a bit of homework already and you certainly have plenty of choice.

For info, I went from the B&W602s to Dynaudio BM5As. I ditched the MF A3 amp and speakers and bought the monitors and an audio interface, the net cost was zero taking into account what I sold my old kit for.

I can't vouch for looks, but the Mackie HR624s should give you the bass you want.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You need to just get down your local hifi shop, there are loads of small speakers that can out perform those B&W 603's for that price with a far superior finish (I always thought they were cheap looking and had a light weight build)......seriously. take a look at the Richersounds website or Seven Oak, Superfi, take alook at the latest offers. You're genuinly spoilt for choice.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to demo some for sure before taking the plunge. I just needed some to put on a short list. There are a few shops in Birmingham I know and one in Coventry which is the closest. I think my nearest superfi in Coventry is no longer there, shame really as it was the place I purchased must of my current kit.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Update. After months of not buying any new speakers, I've ordered some Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers. I got 5% discount and 5m of Chord carnival speaker cable thrown in.

A colleague purchased some last month and raves about them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts