Time for a comparative review of remaining Plasmas ?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Now that the well loved and highly rated PDPLX5090 Kuro appears to have finally disappeared from the dealers (I know, I've been trying for two weeks to find one despite my wife's veto and disbelief at the price, a 'good' sale price may have meant I could sneak one into the house) what about you fab folks at What Hi*Fi towers doing a comparative review of the remaining 50" plasma models out there. I had a look at the 8 series 50" Samsung and although not quite a Kuro, it was impressive. Haven't seen a Panasonic V series (out of stock everywhere but returning soon) but thought the G was a bit soft and the Z not worth the extra money. Couldn't find an LG plasma for love nor money to look at.

However many times I've look at the award winning LCD's, to me they all still look very 'electronic' and 'processed' wherever I've seen them, and don't have the smoothness which I've seen in the plasmas (cue bashing of angry fingers on the keyboards of a mass of LCD owner's filled with rampant fury and violent indignation !).

So what about it?

Rob

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Definitely on the agenda - but as we've almost exhausted the 2009 model ranges (reviewing one set from most, if not all, line-ups), i'd guess it'll be in Spring, when the new crop of 2010 sets starts shooting. Remember, 2010 is the year Pioneer predicted someone would produce a better-than-Kuro flatscreen....

My money, however, would be on a Full LED backlit LCD achieving that feat, rather than a plasma; indications suggest few manufacturers are plumping for plasma for much else than a budget, sports-aimed TV options...

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Clare,

Forgot that it's almost new model time - shame that the only model I'd managed to see apart from the Pioneers and the Panasonic was the 8 series Samsung which hasn't been reviewed. (could only find one Samsung 6 series stuck in a corner and which was playing a loop of a horrid lo-res Avi game trailer). I'm still not holding my breath that LCD is going to take the Kuro crown for a while yet - It has always baffled me why the manufacturers are happy throwing so much money at developing even more complex processing techniques for LCD screens when Pioneer have proved over several years that a well designed Plasma can beat an LCD hands down - cheaper to churn out average screens for the mass market and then add more processing gizmos on the more expensive models I suppose!

Happy New Year to you all in Teddington !

Rob

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
robjcooper: Pioneer have proved over several years that a well designed Plasma can beat an LCD hands down

And some other comapnies, or plasmas in general, some might say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts